We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Day 2

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Day 2

Day 2

The next day we took some time before getting out the door as some of us needed to catch up on sleep and were slow to get up. My dad, an early riser, took the opportunity to explore our neighbourhood a little more by foot. I asked him to look for Hoffmann's, which I understood was close by. We looked up the walking directions on Google, and somehow this ended up confusing my dad who took about 1/2 hour to find the bakery which was just around the corner from our apartment building. He found it amusing at least. Anyway, the croissants were delicious and much appreciated (thanks for the recommendation Gigi's mum).

We left the apartment around 11am and took public transit to the Miro museum in Parc de Montjuic. The line-up wasn't too long thankfully. I enjoyed the museum, though not as leisurely as I would like with a toddler to watch over! My son enjoyed the ramps, elevators, and larger sculptures, so as long as there are enough adults to take turns watching a toddler in a museum, it's not too bad.

We had a quick lunch at the cafe downstairs and since it was getting late in the afternoon, we decided to walk towards the Transbordador Aeri del Port to take the cable car across the harbour to Barceloneta beach. There was a pretty long wait involved and we found it pricey to get across, but it was fun.

From there we spent some time at the beach, made more fun because my son really enjoyed it, picked up some tasty bread and pastries at Baluard bakery (while my son got a few moments to play in the nearby playground – I love these neighbourhood playgrounds that we happen across), and had a delicious dinner at Puda Can Manel. I went for the paella, which I've had a few times outside of Spain but never really enjoyed that much, just to see if it would be different here, and indeed, I really liked the paella! This satisfied me on a number of levels, as I have always liked the concept of paella but just hadn't come across the right execution of the concept until now. Oh, this is what it should taste like!

Washington...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Day 2

What was the temperature like? How did you dress? What type of shoes did you wear to walk around and still keep warm? I planned for sandals but I think it will be too cold so now I'm not sure what to bring. We leave in 2 days.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Day 2

Temperature was around 19-20 degrees celsius - very comfortable for walking around, but cooler in the evening, so a light jacket/sweater and/or very light scarf would be good for the evening. It's definitely hotter out in the sun, so depends on whether you are walking around in an area that's exposed or not. I typically wore loose, longer-sleeved, cotton shirts and light pants / capris, no jeans. The one night it rained on us it did feel much cooler from the dampness and wind, and we ended up taking a cab home. I brought both my running shoes and sandals and ended up wearing sandals except on the plane - I don't remember my feet being too cold since we were mostly moving around anyway. But if you are expecting rain on the days you are there, esp during cooler evenings, your feet may get cold in sandals, so I would bring shoes more suitable for that.

Edited: 1:03 am, May 14, 2013
Washington...
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Day 2

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Day 2

Hola Tina!

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun. If you like cheese, go see Katherine at Formatgeria La Seu.

Which croissant did your dad get? Raspberry or almond?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Day 2

Sigh. I am already back, just getting around to writing down what happened on our trip. We got our cheese at Santa Caterina Market, though to be honest, I'm often a little overwhelmed as to how to choose which cheese, so ended up choosing milder cheeses that go well with bread and nothing too stinky so everyone could have some.

We had multiple croissants over the week. Raspberry, mango, marscapone (I think that was what it was) on the sweet side. Ham & cheese, and plain on the savoury side. The sweet ones were sinfully good. On the plane ride back home, my son ate most of my marscapone croissant, so now I'm left craving it!

Oregon
Level Contributor
289 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Day 2

Thanks for the report! I'm going in September. Your Dad's bakery quest sounds like something that I would do!

7. Re: Trip report - Day 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 18, 2014