We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small town to overnight in close to barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
small town to overnight in close to barcelona

Hi

We have an early morning flight ot of El Prat BCN and are travelling from Zaragoza.Does anyone know a medievil or smallinteresting town?illage that is no more than 1.5 hrs from the airport.I have looked at Girona,Besur etc but just a little risky if traffic problemsSitges ideal location but a bit large Would like something smaller and authentic if that makes senseAm I asking the impossible?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

You could stay in Sitges www.sitgestur.com

Train from Barcelona to Sitges renfe.com/EN/…index.html

Bus Sitges to Barcelona airport www.monbus.cat

Accommodation www.venere.com

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

Hola,

I imagine you are travelling with a car (for your comments about traffic problems)

I love Montblanc in Tarragona province, have a look here:

http://www.montblancmedieval.cat/en/coneix

Jose

Edited: 1:39 am, May 03, 2013
VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

I would suggest Sitges as well. Lovely town, quaint with good restaurants and lovely old streets to wander round. It's only 30 minutes from the airport as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

I think you'd be unlucky to have traffic problems if you take the AP7/2 from Girona to El Prat.

Girona is big, but what you want to see is small, the east of the river beautiful historic area. It's well worth a visit.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

Girona is lovely but not small. With traffic, you never know, but there is a lot of choice on the "right" side for the airport and without a big detour as Girona or Begur would be.

I would second Montblanc as suggested by Joseantonio. Lovely medieval town, not so small indeed but beautiful town centre (just ignore the newest parts). It is actually on the way from Zaragoza to Barcelona via the AP-2. A smaller option in the same area is Prades.

If you prefer the coast, do not disregard Sitges. The actual town centre is small and compact. As with Montblanc, just ignore the newest parts, you will not really notice it is a bigger town if you just walk around the Cap de la Vila and the seafront.

However, if you really want to stay in a tiny fishermen village: Garraf. Administratively it is now a suburb of Sitges, but its located apart of the main town. There is an intersting building from Gaudi (now a restaurant), a tiny beach with the old fishermen houses and not much else. The old fishermen port is now a sports marina with a couple of restaurants. Very quiet and local.

Edited: 5:44 am, May 03, 2013
auckland
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

thankyou everyone for your great suggestions!Yes we are travelling by car.

We had looked at Sitges and it does look great but with carparking it is quite expensive and I kind of like the idea of somewhere smaller.We will look at MontBlanc.We had ruled out Girona only because we have to be at the airport by 8.30 am!!

auckland
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

will also look at praxes.I wish we had another night The Tarragona area is so beautiful.

auckland
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

Sorry that should read Prades

9. Re: small town to overnight in close to barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 05, 2014