We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food very salty?

Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
food very salty?

I'm told the food in Spain is extremely salty - is this true? Will most restaurants cook to order?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,456 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food very salty?

Can't say I've noticed in around 50 visits over 26 years and eating in dozens of restaurants, and I'm someone who hardly uses any salt in cooking and never uses a salt cellar (except on proper English chips and eggs). T

(BTW The saltiest food I can remember ever eating was the French Fries in Canadian ski lodges where they put it on before serving, they were so salty they almost burnt your lips)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food very salty?

Whether your food is salty or not will depend on who is cooking it. I've not found the food in Spain to be more or less salty than anywhere else I've been. Restaurants in general tend to use a lot of salt and fat in their food, that's not a Spain specific thing.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food very salty?

In some areas of Spain food in general is more "salty" than in others. For instance I usually find the food in Madrid saltier than in Barcelona. But still, nothing unbearable (and I'm used to cook without any salt at home). No idea where who told you that could ate, but as already said above, Spanish food is not saltier than food anywhere else in Europe.

A different thing could be if you decided to eat only tapas and only choose boquerones, pimientos del padrón, olives, salty fried nuts... Everything we locals don't usually eat but too many tourists believe its the only typical food! Many ítems served as tapas (especially the "free" tapas you get with your drink at some places) are very salty... but because these will make you thirsty so you will order more drinks. These are not what we usually eat for a full meal.

In any case, you can always order your food without any salt (sin sal), or with less salt (con poca sal). Many people do, for health reasons or just to suit better our taste.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food very salty?

Another thing that can be quite salty is "bacalao" (cod) dishes because salt-cod (stockfish) is used; even if theoretcically desalinated it is still saltier than fresh cod.

Like Doff I also cook with little salt. Occasionally something I have ordered here in Spain has been rather too salty but that is a question of the cook, not a general thing I would say (thinking about it, I've probably had more problem with too much salt in Germany actually)

5. Re: food very salty?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 03, 2014