We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

It's our first trip to Spain, going in Sept. this year. Age 60's couple thinking of flying in to Barcelona, spending 3 - 4 days, moderate pace sight-seeing. Then thought we'd take the train to Vilanova for 3 days, mostly to relax, before taking it back to Barcelona & flying home. Barcelona hotels - we're looking for something nice near the beach in the range of 200-300 Euros. I have read pages and pages on the Forum and still have these questions: We think we'd like to stay by the beach - hotel suggestions? Or would it be more fun staying near L'Eixample? Hotel suggestions there? As for Vilanova, is English spoken or would it be a struggle if we don't speak Spanish? And would this be a nice trip to take to get out of the "city"? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

Hola JGoud,

I like your idea very much! Last summer, I took my sister-in-law, her husband and her son with us to Vilanova i la Geltru for the day. We met some friends there, went to a lovely bodega, explored their main Rambla, hung out at a square and watched a local castellers (human towers) club in practice. I also met a couple who was getting ready to relocate to Beijing. The husband was American and his wife was a computer engineer from Vilanova.

It was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable days of our time near Barcelona. My brother-in-law actually stopped to look at real estate listings in an office!

I think many young people do speak English. One thing for sure, the local residents are friendly and accepting of visitors.

If you DO spend time out of Barcelona at a beachside town, you might want to stay in a hotel NOT at the beach in Barcelona. Spend your time soaking in the culture and ambiance by staying somewhere more historic (like El Born or Barri Gotic) or architecturally interesting (like Passeig de Gracia).

For ideas on where to stay in Vilanova i la Geltru, ask TA member VPS.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g673266-d175226…

For inspiration on what to see and do, check out the VT page of our very own DE Belsaita.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/42b95/3d0dd/

Edited: 10:35 pm, February 06, 2013
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,068 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

JGoud:

I always stay at the Eixample when I visit Barcelona. It is a quiet, upscale neighborhood with many restaurants and stores.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,310 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

I agree with Gigis_mum, if you sare spending time near the beach in Vilanova, staying somewhere away from the beach (and nearer sights) would seem to make more sense.

Some parts of the Eixample are quieter than others, it depends on what street you are on. Rambla Catalunya is quiet as it has no through traffic and has some smaller upscale shops. Passeig de Gracia is very elegant and has big name luxury brands. However much of the Eixample is not so "upscale", it's a normal residential/business district with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. Very good transport connections to all parts of the city too.

Bay Area
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

I would avoid barcelona. Or just stay for a few days at the most. Completely underwelming. The people suck. Over priced. The food is mediocre. There are way better places. Save your money and time.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

Thank you for a constructive and helpful first post. Welcome to TripAdvisor.

Edited: 6:28 am, February 21, 2013
VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

Hmm, don't think repeaz has had a very positive experience in Barcelona! What a shame that a city like this has no redeeming factors! It would be nice to have more specifics.

The only comment I really object to is, 'the people suck'. What a rude and arrogant person you are. If you can't contribute something constructive to TA, don't contribute at all.

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

Now, going back to the question....

Great idea to combine the two places and as the others have said already, spend time in the city in Barcelona, not the beach. There is so much to see and enjoy. Vilanova is quite a contrast, laid back, relaxing but still enough vibrancy to make it fun. The restaurants are particularly good with plenty choice. You'll probably enjoy the beach during the daytime and then in the evening wander up the Rambla Principal into the old town.

You won't have any problem with language in Vilanova, it has changed a little since I arrived 9 years ago. Most shops and restaurants now have someone who can speak at least a little English. More importantly, sign language and a good sense of humour goes a long way. The people in Vilanova are warm and friendly and have a lot of time for people who will at least greet them in Catalan or even in Spanish, so learn a few words.

Accommodation wise. I would recommend you stay in a hotel in Vilanova because I doubt that many people would rent an apartment to you for less than 4 nights. There are a few small hotels on the seafront such as the Hotel Ceferino and the Hotel Ricard. The Hotel Solvi may be open in the summer, I'm not sure, because it closed down after last summer and is up for rent again.

If I can help in any other way, please ask.

8. Re: Good Idea or Bad?? Vacation in Barcelona and then Vilanova

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 23, 2014