We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems buying on RENFE website? Not for me

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Problems buying on RENFE website? Not for me

For the first time ever i've booked via the RENFE site (only other time i used Rail Europe back as long ago as 2003 for Madrid - Sevilla).

Using the excelent advice on

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

i decided to use English rather than Spanish and apart from it not excepting my euro currency card (which i half expected) it all went to plan (almost).

Going Barcelona - Valencia on 30/03/13 and back on 01/04/13 which is Easter. Managed to get €22.50 on the way to Valencia for a mid morning train and on way back as i don't want to be there later than noon went for the Preferente price as it was only €9 more than Turista which was €28.

Only other issue apart from card was trying to pick a seat (Preferente appears to pick it for you with no choice?) as all coaches came up fully booked but after clicking through the individual coaches a few times one of the coaches then appears as empty so you can reserve the seat, so looks like another glitch on the RENFE booking system?

So a return ticket for less than €60 with one part in Preferente and when i checked the price for a coach return the price is similar.

So my advice is ensure you check the web link on the right hand side to help booking and the normal great advice from this site.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,131 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems buying on RENFE website? Not for me

jon:

Congratulations!

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,945 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems buying on RENFE website? Not for me

Hola jon,

Good on you and thanks for sharing. Apart from reading the Top Question on Renfe, you probably had little trouble with Renfe because you are not using a credit card issued by a North American, Asian, Australian or New Zealand bank.

I took 5 Canadian credit cards and ran them through the gauntlet known as Renfe. For me, it was proof enough that Renfe is not a user-friendly website. One must prepare for the experience! Notify the bank beforehand, register with Verified by Visa or MasterSecure for MasterCard (no Capital One or Amex cards allowed), use specific Internet browser, enable pop-ups for printing etc.

Sometimes Renfe works with other browsers (I tried Explorer) and sometimes it works with debit cards. If the transaction was rejected, I tried waiting 24 hours and then, I was able to purchase (Renfe takes a long time to update its declined transaction record). But sometimes, people haven't waited and they have been successful.

That's the problem with Renfe. It's a mystery.

3. Re: Problems buying on RENFE website? Not for me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 01, 2014