We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my first Europe trip with my partner. Thinking to stay 3 days in Barcelona.

We are thinking to take the Euro star train from London to Paris, then from Paris take the TVG train to Barcelona. Heard that normally there is a change of train in Figueres, but from April there could be direct high speed train. but I couldn't find any website that allows booking for this train. only the overnight train is available.

Anyone has any insight, updates or tips?

thank you very much!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,969 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Hola Crystal and welcome to TA Barcelona,

It's too early to book any trains for April right now. If you want to see the daytime schedule for Paris - Barcelona with a connection in Figueres-Vilafant (the new station), try this website:

www.tgv-europe.com

When the programme asks you for your country, DON'T choose Australia. Choosing your actual country would get you re-directed to RailEurope, a 3rd party ticket seller. Instead, choose "Antarctic" to stay on the TGV website.

I did a hypothetical search. For Feb 14 at 7:15, discounted tickets are shown at 113.20€. The train information (TGV from Gare de Lyon and AVE from Figueres - Vilafant) is clearly displayed.

Edited: 12:57 am, January 23, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,969 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

PS. The link above takes you to the Home Page where you must indicate your country. After that, in the train search box, make sure to choose Antarctica.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Although the French railways usually allow bookings 3 months ahead of travel, the Spanish railways will not take bookings more than 62 days ahead. You will have to wait until February to book for April. For the best prices, book direct with SNCF as far ahead as possible.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Flight options Paris to Barcelona www.vueling.com www.easyjet.com

Barcelona Aerobus www.aerobusbcn.com

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

www.barcelonaturisme.com

accommodation www.venere.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Wow, this is my first ever topic posted on trip advisor, and have got so many great tips within one day!

I will definitely put Antartic in the collection country :D

I'm planning to travel in May actually, so I will need to check later. Really appreciate this guys!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Hi all,

I've read Seat 61 carefully and search for the Paris-Figueres train with the new 30 day best price feature- no trains are available from 1st of April.

weird...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,969 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Crystal,

Another option is to fly www.vueling.com . One way fares for Paris -Barcelona can be as low as 49.99 € (luggage check-in plus use of credit card extra). That's based on Thursday, May 2 fares.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,171 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

I too would look out for announcements about the new direct trains, and pounce as soon as the bookings open.

If it looks like their entry in to service will be delayed, you still have the change at Figueres option to fall back on.

Edited: 9:08 am, January 23, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Based on Wirewiper's comment - should we assume that the direct service, when it comes into operation, will go straight through without a change of rolling stock in Figueres?

To test that idea - does that mean that TGV and AVE trains will continue through to Paris and Barcelona - even Madrid?

I am thinking of booking Figueres to Paris using the three month advance window for TGV/SNCF - and then booking Barcelona to Figueres with RENFE using their 62 day window. For a journey on 12 May 13.

I am assuming - well, counting on - the timetables to still match up after the "direct" service comes in to operation.

I'd appreciate comments on this strategy, please.

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day time train from Paris to Barcelona

Is there any update to the opening of the new direct train PAR to BCN? It's now March 26 and I've been trying every day. Seat 61 says April 28. We are traveling May 17. We don't like night trains. What are our chances of reserving new direct train for May 17? Are there any daytime alternatives? We are USA.

Thanks