We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please be aware!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please be aware!

Hubby & I just back from a 2 night stay in Barcelona, great located hotel, no problems wishing we could stay longer, walking back towards ramblas from the Mitsui japonese restaurant we were approached with 2 guys I was very aware of the problems re pick pocketers already warned by a friend!

It was quietish around 10.30am we were in a well lit area, still we didnt feel in danger......We noticed 2 guys lingering ahead of us as we got nearer to them one at either side of us, touting for a local disco common sight for tourists, we are used to the touts on holiday so politley shrugged them off and carried on walking, the guy at my side insistantly making us look at his card, at this point I promptly looked towards the guy at my hubbys side (hubby is 6-2) as I glanced slightly behind hubby the guys thumb and finger was in my husbands back pocket, he felt nothing. Id bungled them, It was a blur after that, I tripped up and fell on my knee, the wallet was firmly gripped this guy ran off, my hubby chased him, also a couple of local guys who were nearby helped chase the thief they hated it and said these were gypsies who were from out of the area! I was so scared! The money had gone he threw the empty wallet on the ground. Gutted! Deflated! We eventually found the police station, logged report, was told it was a very bad area that the police station was in, we were scared to walk back to hotel. Awful. No more city breaks for us! Police do nothing to deter,pick pockets are rife and 'get away with it' all the time. Why is this crime allowed to continue!! No respect for tourists! Im digusted and very shaken up by our ordeal! We have been to Egypt many times and the locals there have far more respect for us as visitors to their country! Hope this helps someone who is visiting Barcelona!!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Please be aware!

I wouldn't let it stop me from visiting but Rick Steves writes that "you're more likely to be pickpocketed here -especially on the Ramblas--than about anywhere else in Europe."

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Please be aware!

I have been to most major European cities but Barcelona is the only one where I felt unsafe. There is more crime in Barcelona than all the others combined. The reason is the lax laws that encourage crime. If you go, stay out of dark areas and don't carry a camera or purse.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
43. Re: Please be aware!

travelled in many many countries-read the reports about barcelona-yes we were robbed only time ever and no we will never return

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Please be aware!

Sorry to hear about that Jules-its an awful feeling. Its put me off citys full stop. Lax laws dont help.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Please be aware!

I have to say I was over last month for a short visit, hostel down a lane, dark by 5pm. Walked from there down to the marina, walked up Las Ramblas, walked to Sagrada Familia and back by the Zoo. walked from Camp Nou back to Placa Catalunya via Passeig Gracia. Never once did I feel threatened.

I'm not saying I was lucky, I'm saying I felt safe in Barcelona. I was out from early morning to late at night, I was aware of my surroundings, as much as I would be in Glasgow or Preston.

It wasn't my first visit, and won't be my last.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Please be aware!

"Never once did I feel threatened."

That's not the point. Pickpockets never make you feel threatened. The do their work without getting noticed. If they were threatening, they could never get near you.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Please be aware!

Well said Monsier..........We had 2 lovely days there and never felt threatened Ian...however once you have been 'unlucky' enough to get 'approached' and 'robbed' then you do feel totally different.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Please be aware!

Probably is an individual matter, but for me "feeling threatened" means feeling as someone will hurt me in some way.

Knowing that someone can aproach me and pick something is a different feeling. Actually this is not a "feeling" but a fact, knowing there's a risk, and using the appropriate measures to minimize the loss in case ir happens. It happened to me 4 times so far, and these were annoying incidents but not something that prevented me from keeping enjoying my holidays or from returning to these cities.

If I ruled out of my list all places where myself or some I know (really know, not hearsay) have been picked, I would not visit most of my favorite cities anymore. Thieves can take my valuables but they can not take my ability to enjoy beauty, art, good food or whatever I like there!

EU
Level Contributor
63 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Please be aware!

I agree with Belsaita. On our 3rd visit to Barcelona we were pick-pocketed at the airport just as we arrived. Yes, it got our holiday off to a bad start but we were determined not to let it spoil things as Barcelona is such a wonderful place. We've been back twice since and have kept our wits about us. Yes, you have to be careful but I think that applies to nearly all large cities (and some holiday resorts) these days - even on your own doorstep. The last time in Barcelona I felt uncomfortable on the Ramblas at night but, when I come back in April, I'll just avoid that area in the evening (just like I would avoid certain parts of Edinburgh at night). Back again in April and, once the valuables are locked up in the safety deposit box, I'll be out admiring the amazing sights. Can't wait.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Please be aware!

This post is a little worrying .. I am travelling with 3 friends to barcelona in may to join a cruise of the Mediterranean.. We are all in our 60's and very active and want to get out and see the city .. We are staying for 2 nights at the Hotel Turin.. We come from Sydney which has a low crime rate when compared to overseas cities and never in my travels have I felt threatened but Barcelona sounds a bit scarey

We have bought pacsafe bags and I also got a wallet on a chain which attaches to the inside of the bag and then has a closure across the zipper .. I usually carry my camera but it seems that will be quite risky getting in and out of my bag ... Any suggestions for dinner as I doubt well want to walk far, we are all really excited at this trip and don't want to have a bad start by having something stolen ... I always carry a phone in case of an emergency, are these at risk too??

And yes we will take many precautions to avoid being robbed .. And hope for the best