We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

Has anyone ever heard of this? We had some advice that this might be the way to go in order to visit the EU Schengen countries longer than 90 days. Has anyone ever done this? We thought possibly of studying Spanish in a private University in Barcelona for a few weeks. My question is: Would we do this near the end of our 90 days and then get the extension. Please advise!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

As I understand it, to get an extended student visa you need to be enrolled in a full-time programme for a number of months. There are other requirements such as a guarantee of sufficient funds and at least two weeks pre-paid accommodation. All this needs to be done at a Spanish embassy of consulate in advance of your stay. If there are other ways to go about this, I'm not aware of them.

On the other hand, don't tell anyone, but I know someone who stayed in Europe for 5 months on a 90-day visa. He was accompanying his girlfriend who was there on a six-month Spanish student visa. He was enrolled for 4 weeks of Spanish classes in a recognized school, but it wasn't sufficient to be able to apply for a student visa. He was pretty nervous when leaving Barcelona to return home. Especially when he passed through immigration where the officer in the booth looked at his passport for what felt like an eternity, gave him a questioning look, flipped a few pages on the passport, stamp it, and sent him on his way.

Far from me to suggest that you do this, but know that it has been done.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

That should "Spanish embassy OR consulate".

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

Thank you for your advice and story. It makes me nervous just thinking about it. What is the worst case scenario that could happen if they find out that you've overstayed your 90 days? We'll be flying back to the USA out of Lisbon.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

I don't know and i shouldn't speculate. Perhaps there are other ways to extend your visa. You should check with Spanish consular service. Maybe call your Spanish consulate which, according to the embassy web site, is the one in San Francisco.

maec.es/subwebs/…Home.aspx

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

Thanks you so much for your email. I've sent them an email, so we'll see what happens. I'll let you know. :)

6. Re: Take Spanish in Spain and extend visa past 90 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2014