We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Barcelona

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
First time in Barcelona

Hello!

My fiance and I will be in Barcelona February 28 - March 6. I've never traveled internationally and know absolutely NOTHING about the area. We're both in our low 30s and hoping to make it somewhat of a budget trip. We're more night time people as opposed to early morning but aren't interested in the all night clubs and such. He loves his beer though! Any suggestions on where to stay? Where to eat? Must see attractions? Do's and Dont's? Tips and Tricks?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Barcelona

Carli

There's loads of info to answer almost all of your questions in the Top Questions section on the right. Have a look at them and come back if you have some more specific queries that they don't answer. It's certainly possible to have a budget trip, although Barcelona is definitely not the cheapest city.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Barcelona

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.barcelonaturisme.com

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Barcelona

Hola Carli and welcome to TA Barcelona,

PC2 and Nuri-bear have given you some good tips. I'll add a bit more on food and lodgings. For a visit of 4+ days, renting an apt can save you money on laundry and food. There's a Top Question about apt rentals and a short list of agencies that have been frequently mentioned.

If you prefer hotels, consider staying in a HOSTAL. That's a small, family-run hotel with basic amenities (ie no gym, spa etc). Some names include Hostal Mare Nostrum, Hostal Goya, Hostal Que Tal, Hostal Khronos and Hostal Oliva (best location). B&Bs include BarcelonaBB, Casa de Marcelo and El Balcon del Born.

Make lunch your big meal of the day and save money by choosing a Menu del Dia (lunch special). See the list in the Top Qs.

If you're on a Smartphone and can't see the Top Qs, click on FULL SITE.

Edited: 6:44 pm, January 08, 2013
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Barcelona

Carli,

Hi there! My husband and I will arrive in Barcelona on the morning of March 5th. This is our first trip to Spain, and we are so excited! I'm 37, and he's 41. Not knowing your interests, some things we put on our list to see/do are: Picasso Museum, Sagrada Familia, Walk Las Ramblas, La Boqueria Market, Park Guell, Magic Fountain, Walk the Gothic Quarter, Casa Batillo, & Casa Mila. We haven't worked out all the logistics yet, but that's what is on the list so far.

Also, I'm not sure how your Spanish is, but I haven't spoken any Spanish since high school. So I bought a Pimsleur beginner's conversational Spanish CD to listen to while I drive. I've remembered and learned quite a bit of Spanish thanks to it. The CD only cost me like $ 20 at Barnes and Nobles. Of course in Barcelona, they speak Catalan more I think, but my husband and I are visiting Madrid too. It still may be beneficial to you because I think most people in Barcelona know Spanish even if they don't speak it as their primary language so it may help you to learn a little if your Spanish isn't so good.

Anyway, I hope this has helped some. Basically I just wanted to say hi and tell you that you are not alone. It's been crazy for me trying to plan this trip, and it was a little overwhelming when I first started, but I think I'm starting to get a handle on it. :O)

Some other things I purchased were some guidebooks from the bookstore that have maps inside as well as some of the commonly used phrases in the back. This would probably help you too if you haven't done so yet. I hope you have a great trip!

Kristy :O)

Edited: 9:18 am, January 09, 2013
Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Barcelona

Carli, if you had been there a bit longer, your fiance could have gone to the Barcelona Beer Festival weekend of 8-10th march. Being held this year (2nd year they have arranged a beer festival) at Las Arenas which is an old bull ring now shopping centre at Placa Espanya.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Barcelona

I would advise to also buy a guide book of barcelona, it's a cheap investment and can save you money, time and headaches when you are there.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Barcelona

Hi Carli B

For somebody your age, I would suggest you stay in El Born or the Bari Gotic areas. We recently took our 24 year old daughter to Barcelona; she loved it and these were her favourite areas.

We got a very good deal on an apartment, with discount for a late booking, from Habitat Apartments:

habitatapartments.com/barcelona-apartments

New Jersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Barcelona

Try here, this should cover a lot of what you're asking about (areas to stay, places to eat, must-sees, tips, etc):

traveltalesandtips.com/2012/…

Washington...
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Barcelona

Meghan429 that link was awesome!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
77 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Barcelona

Thanks! It's a work in progress. Cordoba and Amsterdam are the only other two cities done so far on there, but hopefully the tips save people some time standing in lines or trying to figure out what the big sights they want to cover are.