We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
quebec
Level Contributor
286 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

We have our tickets to London (the cheapest transatlantic fare) and now we're reconsidering, and wondering what would be best itinerary be with a 16 year old boy and 13 year od girl. Originally, we wanted to go to Barcelona for 1 week and Italy for 1 week, but now we are flying to London, because it saves us almost half the price (2800Cnd) for 4. Perhaps 3-4 nights in each city and return to take our plane back in London. We don't want to do Paris, because we've done that many times. Is London, Barcelona and Italy (rome-luca-cinque Terre) still a good itinerary or something else? Your thoughts & opinions would really help and apartment recommendations in each city would be so wonderful.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

We spent Easter Week this year in Amsterdam and enjoyed it very much. As in BCN you could do it in 3-4 days if you don't go in loads of museums (we filled the week because we did 2 or 3 museums each day as our 13 year old has caught the history bug from us so is now willing to do museums and Amsterdam's were varied). We walked miles around the city and went on canal trip also.WE've even got an apartment we could recommend! www.appartementvondelstraat.nl. Flying from here with vueling.com or transavia.com.

Having said that, last Easter we were in Berlin for a week, on our second visit. Berlin is one of our favourite cities though 3-4 days is quite a rush to see it; same true of London I suppose. Think Paris as equivalent of those two. we stayed in an apartment on Novalisstrasse booked through 123berlinzimmer.de and it was great. flights from here easyjet.com and airberlin.com and both of those fly to London airports.

Feb break we were in Lisbon which is different again, more comparable with here (though more ramshackable). 3-4 days is fine. vueling.com is who we flew with. Hotel Dom Carlos Park there; also great.

Really anywhere you choose I think you'll enjoy; you just have to take the plungwe. You could add Spanish cities though they will be even hotter than BCN by late June.Madrid and Sevilla and/or Granada most obvious choices. Northern Spanish cities wd be cooler. I still think you would like the Veneto which I've suggested previously. Countryside and small towns for variety then.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

My two are about the same age as your (17 & 14) and they love London and Barcelona. I'm pretty certain that teenagers will love the Cinque Terra as well but if your itinerary allows it, try to be there away from weekend days, because the area gets very busy. I reckon your plans look pretty good, both for kids and parents.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
364 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

Wonderful, Lynda, that you were in my home country, Holland.

Me being Dutch I would also (logically) recommend Holland, and not only Amsterdam. It's easy to get around on public transport.

IAdvantage is it's a very compact country, easy to reach any place, though not as cheaply as in Spain, though not as expensive as moving around London. Amsterdam is indeed a very walkable city and so totally different than anywhere else. But my favourite city in the Benelux is Bruges, Belgium. Then you'd have to fly to Brussels. Brussels is a cheap start for flying anywhere. VirginExpress flies from Brussels.

For art I'd suggest Amsterdam still. I live in the Hague. Mauritshuis museum is a nice museum (with "Girl with a pearl earring" if you know the book or movie). Personally I'd think :London, Amsterdam and Spain or Italy would be 3 quite varied destinations. You'll find that London is a quite expensive town and a lot of Italy too. Should be refreshing to be in Barcelona (as I will be in a few days). My favourite European island is Madeira, Portugal, but mainly for hiking enthusiasts (see the Madeira forum here and at www.Madeira-island.com). I went there 10 times and found the most marvelous (easy) mountain hiking there, but it's not cheap to combine it with other places than London and Lisbon, which is indeed also a great city

It all depends on what you and your children are most interested in.

There are plenty of all-Europe guiidebooks, like of Lonely Planet.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

Actually we stayed first night in Delft which we absolutely loved. It's got loads of history and art connections:House of Orange and Vermeer connections plus the two churches whose interiors appear on lots of Golden Age paintings) for a start.

We also did day trip to Leiden from A'dam (Rembrandt year made that the must, over the Hague). However if only 3 days you'd be kept busy in Amsterdam alone which is why I didn't mention them first post.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
364 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

Well, Lynda, you could almost become the local expert for Holland too :-)))

Great that you saw Delft. You can see a short fragment in the movie "Girl with a Pearl Earring" (the Vernmeer painting i n The Hague), but not much as this movie was shot in Luxemburg.

It's still Rembrandt year indeed.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had to choose 3 cities in Europe to visit with kids...

Barcelona, Venice, Vienna, Lisbon, Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges, Prague, Florence...

Choose medium cities, because some of the bigger ones could overwhelm you if you don't have many days to expend in there (Roma, Paris, London...). In 3 days you'll have only a short glimpse to Barcelona, but it will suffice to know some of the best places (better if you expend 4-6 days).

The best and unforgetable combination: Barcelona-Venice-Vienna (or Amsterdam). London is worderful, but only with British Museum and the National Gallery you can consume two or three days. And, of course, nobody crosses the Atlantic to miss things like these.