We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Hello

I hoped someone could help me make sense of in which order to go and see things in Barca. We will be arriving on Thursday afternoon (2ish) and leaving on Sunday evening (7ish).

I have listed the things we would like to see before but didn't want to be going back and forth so if there was an order or places that are in close proximity, that would be helpful. Also if there is anything on this list that is overrated or in fact anything I have missed out that I should see, let me know!

-Palau de la Musica Catalana

-Sagrada Familia

-Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia

- Caso Milo/Casa Batllo/Guell Palace - We wanted to go and see one, not sure which you would recommend.

- Montjuic's Magic Fountain

-Picasso museum (perhaps)

- Museu Europeu d'art Modern

- Las Ramblas - We don't want to spend much time here

-Beach - not sure what the weather is like but would like to visit but not sure between Little Barcelona , Platja Mar Bella and Nova Mar Bella.

-Camp Nou – Barcelona Football stadium

Any other advice would be more than helpful.

Thanks in advance.xx

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,983 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Only the football ground and the museum of football can be done in Barca. For the rest you'll need Barcelona.

You've missed Parc Guell. It should be on your list.

Museu Europeu d'art Modern, Palau de la Musica Catalana, Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia and Las Ramblas can conveniently be done in the same time frame. You could start at the Picasso museum if you visit in that order, or finish there if you start at Las Ramblas.

I don't know how MEAM compares to the perhaps better known MACBA.

Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia and Caso Milo/Casa Batllo are easy enough to string together. I don't think it's fair to pick one over the others but Casas Milo and Batllo are close together so perhaps have a look at the exteriors and the queues and make your mind up on the spot.

Camp Nou is out of the centre, so probably needs a morning or afternoon to itself. Magic Fountains are for after dark, so any time they are operating.

"Little Barcelona"? Where on earth did you get that from? I've never heard Barceloneta called that. I can't see much point in going to the beach in December but if you must, then walk through Barceloneta, perhaps stopping to look at the market or at one of the pleasant bars, from the Port Vell area to the promenade. Personally I'd use the time to do something more interesting, like a trip to the Pedralbes Monastery or a ride on the Montjuich teleferique, or a kebab on Rambla de Raval, or a cake on Placa Sant Just.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Hola loveandsmiles (and PC2),

I spent too much time typing and when I had finished, PC2 had already answered your questions. So here goes nothing. Feel free to spread stuff out or take what you please. :-)

THURSDAY PM: Arrival and check-in at Hotel U232 (hope you haven’t changed your mind about hotels, since this itinerary is based on this hotel’s location)

From metro Hospital Clinic, take L5 (blue line) to Camp Nou. See Google map here:

http://goo.gl/maps/5DD3M

FRIDAY: Your Gaudi/Modernisme day. Your hotel is closest to metro Hospital Clinic. You can take the L5 (blue line) directly to metro Sagrada Familia.

Then, take a short taxi ride up to Parc Guell. Afterwards, walk downhill to metro Lesseps and ride the L3 (green line) to Diagonal station. Have a quick look at Hotel Casa Fuster – it’s a luxury hotel that was designed by Modernist architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner (you’ll learn more about him at the Palau de la Musica Catalana).

Walk down Passeig de Gracia to either Casa Mila (aka La Pedrera) or Casa Batllo. Which one to see? This is a frequently asked question on the forum. Everyone has their favourite. I think La Pedrera offers more information and the roof chimney is a Must See. On the other hand, the colourful and whimsical shapes of Casa Batllo always amaze me. The ‘creature on the roof’ is also a Must See. Have a look at both websites and decide for yourself. Or, see both! How often does one get to visit Barcelona, after all?

After many hours of staring at buildings, it’s time to do something different. Maybe a stroll down La Rambla, with a stop at the Mercat de la Boqueria for some snacks and refreshments. Or a casual lunch at Café Viena, home of the jamon iberico flauta once nominated as the best sandwich in the world by NY Times (a bit OTOP, imho). Two more ideas for meals: Café Cent Onze at Hotel Le Meridien offers a great 14 euro Menu del Dia. Good service and good food. Or Café Escriba, housed in a beautiful Modernist building. Yummy pastries, sandwiches but horrible/insulting service.

If the weather is good, continue down to the waterfront and wander over to Barceloneta beach. Lots of cafes and restaurants here.

PS. Palau Guell is near the bottom of La Rambla. It’s Senyor Gaudi’s first residential commission in Barcelona and it’s a great example of his vision and genius. How to find space for everyone and his horse on a very small plot of city real estate. And another beautiful roof!

SATURDAY: Your Barri Gotic/Museum Day

Palau de la Musica Catalana (you can book tickets online, if you want)

Catedral de Santa Creu i Santa Eulalia aka Barcelona Cathedral / La Seu

Lunch in Barri Gotic: Right across from La Seu, there’s a Basque pintxo place with tables, Bilbao Berri – it’s not bad. Near Museu Picasso, there’s a standing-room-only Basque pintxo bar, Euskal Etxea. Or try a menu del dia from one of the many restaurants in Barri Gotic. There’s a list of places suggested by regular contributors on the Top Questions.

Museu Europeu d'Art Modern OR Museu Picasso

Also consider taking a free Runnerbean walking tour of Barri Gotic. This is a fun way of seeing and learning more about this historical area. Starts at Placa Reial at 11-ish (afternoon tours in the summer, I think).

Since you are interested in modern art, maybe a visit to the MACBA?

The Magic Fountain runs on specific days, depending on the season. Pls check the Top Question for the schedule. Normally in winter, it’s Fri and Sat only. Performance time varies depending on the season too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Hiya

So sorry, I totally meant Barcelona not Barca! Not sure where my heads at!

Thank you so much, this is all so helpful! I didn't want to miss out on key things as I am there for such a short period, I am usually a go-with-the-flow tourist! Yes still staying at the U232- if you know any places that we could have breakfast (preferably family run) close to the hotel, that would be great.

I may even ask another question about the restaraunts/bars I have shortlisted in a seperate thread :-)

Thanks again

x

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Also, shall we get a taxi from aiport to hotel or the metro - how much would a taxi be approximately?x

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Streets are always dotted with little cafes of varying price and quality. Next to your hotel, there is a Pans & Co. Not a family-run biz but not too bad either.

5 blocks away, there's an interesting Japanese-Catalan bakery/cafe called Ochiai. I keep meaning to try it... DE Belsaita has been there and liked it.

http://www.ochiaipastisseria.com/

Another option is to eat near your 1st stop of each day. Have a look at the Top Question on Good Snacks. There's a Google map of the snack shops in relation to sightseeing.

Btw, you are 4 blocks away from my favourite tapas restaurant, Paco Meralgo. Definitely worth a visit for a light dinner or pre-dinner snack.

Taxi for under 25 euros, I'm guessing.

Edited: 12:09 pm, December 04, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Hi

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help, we had a lovely trip to Barcelona.x

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

Thanks for saying thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

8. Re: Itinerary - leaving on Thur morning.x

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 10, 2014