We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach south of Barcelona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach south of Barcelona?

We are looking for a mellow beach town to relax and enjoy the last 4 nights of our 2 week holiday in Spain. Is Sitges the best beach? We are looking for a very relaxed local atmosphere, away from lots of tourists? Is there another town further south? How about specific hotel recommends?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
322 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach south of Barcelona?

It all depends on when you are going? We were there in late May, visited Sitges and loved it. Nice little town, great beach. The beaches along the Costa Dorado are also very nice. Tarragona was lovely. If you are going this summer, the beaches will be crowded, particularly in August when most locals go on vacation and take their families to the coastal areas.

NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach south of Barcelona?

We'll be in that area mid-may. Any specific hotels you'd recommend?

Level Contributor
322 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach south of Barcelona?

The San Sebastian Playa Hotel which is right across the street from the beach. Very nice and comfortable hotel, has a restaurant downstairs (street level), outside cafe and within walking distance to shopping and other places of interest. You can check Trip Advisor for reviews (which are great) and price check.

In Tarragona we stayed at the Hotel Imperial Tarraco right across the street from the Romain ruins and you have a panoramic view of the sea. It's a little older but still comfortable.

My husband and I are going back to Barcelona in early October, our third time, we can't wait. Have a wonderful trip.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,310 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach south of Barcelona?

Sitges has tourists all through the year, aside from the large local expat population. Very popular with gay couples all year round.

It is very pretty and has a couple of interesting museums near the church.

If you waned a place with few tourists go to Vilanovai la Geltru next town south of Sitges. It is bigger,is a working port but also has beach, promenade, wonderful fish restaurants (we go there occasionally: the fish sold in BCN is landed in Vilanova).

Tarragona is the old Roman Capital and well worth a visit even if you don't stay there. approx 30 mins by train from Sitges/Vilanova.

NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach south of Barcelona?

Thank you for your help! Great suggestions. I am trying to use mapquest.com for driving directions, but am not getting specific addresses. Would you be able to give me driving directions from Barcelona Airport to Riberies Hotel - Camí de Riberies s/n 25595 Llavorsí LLEIDA?

Also from Riberies Hotel to the Parador de Aiguablava - Platja d'Aiguablavan, Begur.

Thanks so much!