We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which station to Girona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
which station to Girona?

The last time we were in Barcelona, we did a day trip to Girona from Estacion Franca. This was so much more convenient for us than trecking up to Sants. Is this still possible? I have looked on the Renfe website but it doesn't stipulate which station(s) you can depart from, just 'Barcelona'.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which station to Girona?

You don't need to go all the way to Sants. If a train from Girona does not stop in França, it will most likely stop in Passeig de Gràcia, as convenient if not more than França for sightseeing.

Select Barcelona (*) in the website, this means all stations in Barcelona. Once you get the list of trains for that day, clicking on a train number will open a new window with all the route of that train with all stops it makes.

In any case, RENFE seems to be having trouble updating their winter schedules online. I did a dummy search and not all trains on this route appear on line, there must be one each hour or so but only a few per day appear on the web right now.

However, when going to Girona we never book online anyway (IMO is not worth paying premium for a better and a bit faster train in a short trip like this). We just go to the station, buy a ticket for the day and take the next regional or MD train leaving, we check the return times while waiting or upon arrival to plan when to come back (usually one or two trains later than initially planned as we always find more things to do :-)))

Bon viatge!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which station to Girona?

Oops! I realise I was thinking you were doing the daytrip from Girona to Barcelona... Anyway you'll get the idea.

Depending on where are you staying in Barcelona, another convenient station to take the train may be Clot/Aragó.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which station to Girona?

Many thanks belsaita, that is good to know.

We always take the regional trains for short journeys as they are so much cheaper. When we were in Seville recently, we never purchased a return ticket for our day trips as we didn't know how long we would want to stay in a place. We just showed our outgoing ticket when we purchased our return ticket and they applied the same discount as if we had bought a return.

I presume that Renfe 'rules' are the same throughout Spain and that we will be able to do this for our trip to Girona.

Thinking about it though, one thing that was different was that we never had to validate our tickets in Andalucia - the ticket was for a specific train with allocated seats. I seem to remember having to validate the tickets when we last went to Girona, so perhaps it is different in Catalunya?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which station to Girona?

Hi again, you usually must validate your train tickets and its the same all over Spain. Maybe not for certain trains with allocated seats... However, regional on this route do not have allocated seats.

What may change is *where* you validate the tickets. In Clot, where I usually take trains, in Sants, and I do believe in all stations in Barcelona, you must validate your tickets in order to open the gates to access the tracks.

However, in Girona station the validating machines are attached to the columns next to the stairs to the tracks. There are no gates, you can reach the tracks anyway.

This applies to many other stations all over Spain: if you do not have to open a gate with your ticket to access the tracks, look around for the validating machine!

Edited: 1:05 pm, November 14, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which station to Girona?

In Girona it is an orange machine (looks like a metal box) at the bottom of the stairs to the platform. Watch and you will see where others validate their tickets.

6. Re: which station to Girona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 16, 2013