We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day with children

Hereford
Level Contributor
312 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Day with children

We are arriving into Barcelona airport on the 27th May. We are a family of four with children aged 3 and 5.

We are only in Barcelona for 2 nights and 1 day before driving down to Salou. Not obviously planning on doing everything but wanted to see a fair chunk if possible.

We are staying for 2 nights at the holiday inn express - MOLINS DE REI i have chosen this as we arrive very late on the Monday night and have hired a car from there and needed something with parking. The hotel has free parking and from the reviews that i have read has a train station very close with a train into Barcelona frequently.

This is where my questions start, how much will the train be for the four of us into Barcelona as i am considering driving in and parking the car up if it is to expensive?

What could i reasonably expect to do while there and do you have any recommendations for us as a family.

Thanks Neil

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day with children

Hola mercurystar,

According to the reviews, the Molins de Rei station is 700 meters from the hotel. You can buy a Bonotren 10 ride Zone 2 ticket for 13.20€ and this can be shared amongst your family. That means the 4 of you can go to Barcelona and return for less than 13.20€ (the 3 yo is free, I think).

…gencat.cat/portal/…

To get around in Barcelona by metro, buy a T10 ticket for 4 of you.

Parking in Barcelona is very expensive unless you park far away from the centre. Finding parking on the street is not easy.

Hereford
Level Contributor
312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day with children

Seems very reasonable to get in to Barcelona.

Looking into the T10 card it seems we can share the card and it entitles us to 10 journeys. Would that be ten journeys for the four of us or 10 individual ones?

I'm interested to know of things i could reasonably expect to do while there. Any recommendations for things to do with children? I'm keen to look at the Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell and the Ramblas. Would that be possible in a day?

Thanks Neil

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day with children

Bonotren and T-10 can be shared by the 3 of you but you click off a journey per person (3 year old is free as Gigis_mum thought, on all transport).

However, I would question the whole car-hire thing in your case. You can take the train from Barcelona to Salou (and Port Aventura) and it would be cheaper than the petrol + toll (tunnels near Sitges) let alone adding car hire charge. A taxi to a hotel in central Barcelona would be under 30€ and you can get a taxi right outside the terminal, whereas picking up a hire car will be slower and more hassle esp. with 2 small (tired) children.

And staying in central Barcelona would be a lot better really bearing in mind their age and how short a time you have for the city. If you felt you need a car for when you are in Salou you could hire one there.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,287 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day with children

With both the Bonotren T10 and the TMB (Barcelona municipal transport) T10, it is 10 journeys on 1 ticket that can be shared. You buy 1 ticket and use it for all 4 of you (3 actually since the 3 yo is free).

From Molins de Rei, take the train to Sants station. Transfer to metro L5 to go to the Sagrada Familia. Buy your tickets online in advance to avoid queuing. See the Top Question on the Sagrada Familia.

From the Sagrada Familia, I would jump in a taxi for a short ride to Parc Guell. It won't be more than 10€ and will save you time and energy.

After Parc Guell, walk downhill to the metro station and take the metro down to Liceu station to see La Rambla. A good place to grab a bite is Cafe Viena. If it's a weekday, stop at the Boqueria for some fresh fruit juice and fruit salad. Have a look at the Top Question on Good Snacks for other ideas.

Search this forum by inputting key words into the Search In Barcelona box above this column. You'll get lots of previous threads with good ideas on Barcelona for kids.

Oops sorry. I started my reply and then went out for lunch. Didn't see Lynda's answer until after I posted.

Edited: 2:22 pm, November 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day with children

I've realised since I wrote that travelling with 2 kids you may have problems getting a room but check booking.com for Barcelona and see what comes up.

I know Holiday Inn Express family rooms accommodate 4 ( 2 on the sofa-bed) but still think staying more centrally would be better. Otherwise coming in from Salou by train is another option to get a taster of Barcelona , with such small children a taster is probably all you can hope for.

The Ramblas, and Boqueria market get very crowded so not great places to go with small kids.

Hereford
Level Contributor
312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day with children

I've already booked the holiday inn and its non refundable but at only €100 for the four of us for the two nights including breakfast it is to good to turn down.

I like to hire cars directly from the airport as it saves hassle as far as I'm concerned. I'll get a hire car for around £100 and then not have to rely on public transport to get to my hotel in salou. Trains with small kids and bags are not pleasant trips

Hereford
Level Contributor
312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day with children

So factoring in the additional expense of getting something more centrally for the four of us it makes a lot of sense to stay there.

Hour much go you think it will cost to get to salou? It doesn't seem far?

Sorry for multiple replies but I'm on my mobile and you don't get to view previous posts to see what has been said

Hereford
Level Contributor
312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day with children

Double post sorry

Edited: 5:57 am, November 14, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day with children

I see your point about the hotel price, was too good to miss esp with breakfast included. Just hope parking is free too!

From Molins de Rey the route is different to Salou (no tunnels) so total cost is just under 22€ according to viamichelin.com with motorway tolls and petrol.

To me the most hassle-free way to leave the airport would be by taxi not queuing for a hire car with small kids, I just hope that it's not busy at the car-hire desk when you get there! Taxis are relatively inexpensive here (although admittedly dearer in Salou than in Barcelona) so getting a taxi doesn't seem to us to be an extravagance the way it seems to appear to people in the UK . In Barcelona parking is so expensive that a taxi is often the cheaper option in fact

Hereford
Level Contributor
312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day with children

I suppose taxis are an extravagance to us brits. I think they are incredibly expensive over here. We also don't have any tolls to think about so using the carcar is still even with high petrol prices fairly in expensive for a family to get around.

We arrive quite late, after 10pm so just beingbeing able to jump into a car and drive to the hotel is attractive to me. It is also cheaper to hire cars from airports than from resorts. We'll be using it the whole time we are over in Spain and I like to get around and see a fait bit.

Parking is free at the hotel which is another reason I chose it.