We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

can I get my Euros at ElPratt Airport ATMs ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Hola hillbeartoe!

I don't know if you live in a big city or a small town. I don't even know what country you are in, lol! If you're in North America:

1) Order some Euros from your bank; or

2) Buy Euros from AAA (or CAA); and

3) Use your ATM card to withdraw cash from bank machines in Spain.

As much as possible, I avoid ATMs in airports and convenience stores. That includes the stand-alone terminals in shopping malls. There have been stories all over the world of scams involving those kind of machines. Plus, if there's a problem and your card is confiscated, you'll be waiting around for a bank technician to help.

Use the ATMs that are located in or outside of banks, preferably during the hours when the bank is open.

Edited: 10:20 am, April 17, 2012
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
584 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Are banks open on Saturday? I see that there is a Banco Popular next to my hotel, but we arrive on Sat.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Thank you Gs-Mm ! I agree with you but I need your expertise. it take 3days at my Bank, TG I'm not in a rush. ;^)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Coming from the United States, are ATM's the best way to get Euros? Also, can I exchange American Dollars for Euros in a bank?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Thanks for saying thanks, hbt! It takes my bank at least 3 days as well and I'm in a big city. Most bank branches don't stock a lot of foreign currency on a regular basis.

Sugarpye,

Some banks might be open and others will be closed.

Michael,

You can exchange USD for Euros at banks in Spain but the rate will be terrible. I tried it last summer. :-(

Best to buy some Euros from home and then use your ATM card.

Edited: 11:28 am, April 17, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

Banks are normally closed on Saturdays but ATMs are accessible 24hours.

Some banks, but not the savings banks(caixas) used to open Saturday mornings but now they all seem to open late (till 7pm) on Thursdays.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

I'm much more careless than G_m and often use airport ATMs.

I haven't used a Spanish bank for probably more than 15 years. I'm pretty certain that I used one a couple of times in 1994 but after that, probably not. The experience used to be hellish. I think the cashier smoked three cigarettes and dealt with two other customers whilst he sorted out our simple transaction. I imagine that things have improved since but the idea of wasting all that time out of my holiday appals me. We had to use banks in rural Cuba last year and it just took too long.

Always a good idea to let your bank know in advance if you expect to use the card in a different country and also check for charges. Many debit cards offer really good exchange rates and minimal charges but some make a significant charge for allowing you the privilege of taking your money out.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

PandaChris, I've had better luck than you. I've only done very simple transactions in the banks (changing 50€ bills from the ATM for smaller bills), but it's not been a problem. A bit of a wait once or twice, but nothing worse than what I have had here at home.

We arrived at Terminal 2 in March. I didn't see an ATM anywhere in sight. Granted, I did not look too hard, as I had enough cash for the cab. Can anyone confirm whether there is one in terminal 2? And if there is one, where it is?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,982 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

I'm glad to hear that they've bucked their ideas up, oopsy. I remember my '94 experiences so well because I was travelling with just my 4 year old and he got very bored and wanted to go and 'do stuff' and not hang around for ages in a smokey room.

I didn't need an ATM at T2 last year. It would be odd if there isn't one because Spain seems to be better served for them than just about anywhere I've been.

10. Re: best way to get Euros? Bank or ATM ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, June 19, 2013