We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona to Paris Night Train

I am looking for advice on the night train from Barcelona to Paris. Our family is travelling along this route north, is taking the night train a good option? Is there anyone who has taken this train? Advice?

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Hola Gapster!

Someone asked just yesterday. Link to thread here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k45525…

The website seat61.com is all about train travel.

http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm

Tripadvisor also has a forum on train travel.

Imho, I would rather fly to Paris. It's faster and often cheaper.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Flying faster? Not really, as flying means 4 hours of disjointed metros, airports, security checks, flight and another train journey, all taken from your day.

The sleeper train leaves central Barcelona at 20:43 and arrives in central Paris 08:37. So effectively no time at all, and it saves a hotel bill. Plus it's a genuine unique European experience, not just another flight. With a family in a 4-bed sleeper it's great fun!

You can bring your own wine and picnic and eat in your compartment, or go to the cafe-bar or restaurant.

It's centre to centre, less hassle than flyng too. Book at www.renfe.com from 74 euros including a bed in a 4-bed sleeper.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Flying is faster and can be less expensive than taking the overnight train. Air France has a direct flight, departing at 12:55 (Barcelona (BCN) to Paris (CDG) ) that takes 1hr 55min for only €116,52/person (round-trip - you toss the return portion). Add the 90 minutes needed to check in and the travel time from CDG into the city, it's a lot faster and more comfortable than spending 12 hours in a small compartment.

It will be better taking the train once the highspeed line is complete, but not now, not if you want to be comfortable.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,417 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Checking fares 8/6/2012

www.elipsos.com tourist fare Barcelona - Paris 157 euro

www.vueling.com 44 euro total

www.easyjet.com 57 euro total

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

The Barcelona-Paris Elipsos trainhotel fare for 8 June is actually the 76.50 euros advance purchase fare at www.renfe.com .

This 76 euros (89 euro in high summer and easter) fare is almost always available if you book more than a couple of weeks in advance.

It includes bed in a 4-bed Tourist sleeper. No baggage fees, no credit card fees, no surcharges, and no extra to pay to reach the airports as it is centre to centre. And saves a hotel bill.

Vueling = 44 euros for flight (baggage fees? Airport taxes? Credit card charges? Fuel surcharges?) + 100 euros extra hotel night + maybe 5 euros getting to the airport by train + maybe 5 euros for an hour on the grotty RER local train from the airport to central Paris = 154 euros. And no fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Hi All

Can I fly in on the tail end of this as my questions are similar to the OP's.

I am returning to Barcelona (YAY!) later this year (Not til the very end of October - BOO!) and I want to get the train all the way home to London. I don't care very much for flying and am really excited about the train.

Is it better to book the segments separately - Elipsos from Barcelona to Paris, Eurostar from Paris to Home? or should I book the whole route through, say, RailEurope? I had heard the RENFE website is a bit of a minefield...

Also, There are three of us travelling (me, Mum and my teenage Daughter) and I don't really fancy the prospect of booking into a 4 berth tourist sleeper and having a stranger in the 4th bunk - can I book out this 4th bunk?

Sorry for all the questions! You guys were all so helpful when I was planning my last trip...

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Yes you can book all 4 berths to get a whole 4-berth to yourselves.

If you're in the UK, booking all tickets together at www.raileurope.co.uk is a good idea, Rail Europe UK(unlike the US and overaeas Rail Europes) charges the same (more or less) as TGV-Europe.com. This way, you'll have access to a UK call centre if you need any help. You might save a pound of two (but no more than that) booking separately at www.eurostar.com and www.renfe.com or www.tgv-europe.com though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Thanks for the advice! I'm very glad to hear that I can book out the 4th bunk...

Rail Europe also have a booking centre in London don't they? I think I will pop along there as soon as it gets to 90 days before!

Thanks again

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Yes, at 193 Piccadilly, London, W1J 9EU, open 10:00-18:00 Mondays to Fridays, 10:00-17:00 Saturdays

Fullerton...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona to Paris Night Train

Hi, maybe you can help me too! I've been looking at the July 3, 2012 Elipsos from Barcelona to Paris (and got the sticker shock since it's been a long time since I last traveled in Europe!), but this time going with my family of four, including two ninos (both under 12). I got as far as the fares section where it has tons of different rates and very confusing, and I thought I know Spanish!! I found a rate for "ofreta mini," for 95 Euro, but not sure if this is the right rate. There is no "W' next to any rates I'm seeing. Could you please help?!?! Muchas gracias!