We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wimdu

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
Save Topic
Wimdu

Hello everybody!

Does someone have any experience with Wimdu? They seem to be a new company, layout looks a lot like airbnb. Anyone booked with them already?

Cheers,

D

94 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Wimdu

No - DON't use Wimdu

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Wimdu

I am withdrawing my account and my portfolio of properties from Wimdu as I have found them to be an unscrupleous company in their dealings with me. I find that the charging fee to guests to be an extortionate amount and although this does not affect me financially, I do not want to do business in a partnership that exploits one party. I charge a fair rate. Adding as much as about 15 per cent to that I believe makes it unfair to the guests.

I have recently had to cancel a booking because I have received planning permission from the local government to extend my property (an application I made before Christmas... not knowing when the local authority would give the permission). Wimdu are trying to place a 15 percent charge on my next booking for this...which is grossly unfair. I contacted the guest in question and had offered the reconfigured place (i.e. a 2 bedroom flat converted in to a 1 Bedroom flat and a Studio flat next top one another). Although I was offering the guest the whole lot for the same price it did not suit the guest. They had a terrible time getting their money back from Wimdu despite my having contacted Wimdu many times stating that I agreed with the cancellation. I called Wimdu to sort out the issues but I was told we could not talk to managers but to send an email via the general email address. I asked what guarantees there was that my email would get to a manager, I was told that they could not guaranteed that. I informed them that they were a comoany that was not operating in a transparant manner, but the staff simply kept repeating that I could not have direct contact with a manager. I told them that I would withdraw my potfolio of properties. 5 minutes later I received a call saying a manager called Paula would ring me and speak to me. I did not get a call from Paula but an email a day later (after I made another call chasing them) that Wimdu was going to go ahead and charge me.

In connection to the above, I am therefore canceling all my bookings with Wimdu.

As a Host I know that Wimdu is bull shitting when they offer a help/emergency number. It is not true. There is no one there. I ahv tried several times! If you have any problems at all they cannot help because they dont have the staff to offer you such help. JUST DO NOT, NOT BOOK WITH WIMDU.

BOOK THROUGH AIRBNB instead. They are efficient and helpful to both hosts and guests and has appropriate insurances in place to protect both....and only charges 3 percent. They have an emergency number that you can talk to someone.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Wimdu

I am withdrawing my account and my portfolio of properties from Wimdu as I have found them to be an unscrupleous company in their dealings with me. I find that the charging fee to guests to be an extortionate amount and although this does not affect me financially, I do not want to do business in a partnership that exploits one party. I charge a fair rate. Adding as much as about 15 per cent to that I believe makes it unfair to the guests.

I have recently had to cancel a booking because I have received planning permission from the local government to extend my property (an application I made before Christmas... not knowing when the local authority would give the permission). Wimdu are trying to place a 15 percent charge on my next booking for this...which is grossly unfair. I contacted the guest in question and had offered the reconfigured place (i.e. a 2 bedroom flat converted in to a 1 Bedroom flat and a Studio flat next top one another). Although I was offering the guest the whole lot for the same price it did not suit the guest. They had a terrible time getting their money back from Wimdu despite my having contacted Wimdu many times stating that I agreed with the cancellation. I called Wimdu to sort out the issues but I was told we could not talk to managers but to send an email via the general email address. I asked what guarantees there was that my email would get to a manager, I was told that they could not guaranteed that. I informed them that they were a comoany that was not operating in a transparant manner, but the staff simply kept repeating that I could not have direct contact with a manager. I told them that I would withdraw my potfolio of properties. 5 minutes later I received a call saying a manager called Paula would ring me and speak to me. I did not get a call from Paula but an email a day later (after I made another call chasing them) that Wimdu was going to go ahead and charge me.

In connection to the above, I am therefore canceling all my bookings with Wimdu.

As a Host I know that Wimdu is bull shitting when they offer a help/emergency number. It is not true. There is no one there. I ahv tried several times! If you have any problems at all they cannot help because they dont have the staff to offer you such help. JUST DO NOT, NOT BOOK WITH WIMDU.

BOOK THROUGH AIRBNB instead. They are efficient and helpful to both hosts and guests and has appropriate insurances in place to protect both....and only charges 3 percent. They have an emergency number that you can talk to someone.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Wimdu

Arura_Tigerlily

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but did you know that AirBnB are no different? Wimdu is actually a copy of AirBnB's business model.

I have used airBnB to try an book a place to stay. The owner wanted copies of all passports. The owner certainly does not need that. I complained about this to airBnB. No response what so ever.

Decent and the more business owners can usually be found several of vacation rental websites. Some are owned by Trip Advisor. Which for some is a good thing.

35. Re: Wimdu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:37 pm, February 27, 2013
Edited: 4:37 pm, February 27, 2013

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Wimdu

Wimdo NOT RECOMMENDED

I booked apartment with visa card, the owner accepted the booking, and wimdu immediately (within minutes) placed a 'pending' charge against my visa card. Pending charges mean that significant funds are not available to me

The apartment owner then cancelled the booking, no problem

Wimdu notified me of cancellation and said 'full refund' soon

That was 4 days ago, wimdu have not yet reversed the charge

Wimdu are unscrupulous in taking money, very slow with returns

Never again

Edited: 5:57 pm, April 27, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Wimdu

Going to New York City in mid May. Figured we try something else than hotels and booked this apartment through Wimdu.com: www.wimdu.no/offers/42S07TF5…

Later learned that it's not legal to rent out apartments in NYC if it's for less than 30 days : unless it's rented out while the owner lives there (not the case with the apartment we booked) or it's a class B apartment. More on the subject here: fodors.com/community/united-states/heres-the…

Tried using the Dep of buildings website to figure out what type of building this was (class A or B), but only got that the property was not filed correctly (using 67 for the building number and 73 as the street number). Then proceeded to call the office number for the dep of buildings, but no-one could help me and in the end they just hung up on me. I was super polite so def not because of any abuse on my side.

Anyone on Tripadvisor that could possibly help me out a little here and figure out if this is a class A or B building?

Just trying to figure out if this is an illegal apartment rental to be able to file for full refund. If it's legal then all is a-ok I guess even though the place can still be a total dump of course.

Edited: 9:44 am, April 30, 2013
Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Wimdu

Alexnorge78 you should post your questions on the New York Forum or on Fodors. There are proposals on the table for the Spanish to implement a country wide law which will also restrict the period of renting.

This is the news: thelocal.es/page/view/short-term-home-rental…

it is already law in the Canary Islands: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g662606-i11484-k50…

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Florida
Level Contributor
599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Wimdu

Stick with AIRBNB.com. They are 100% honest and have the best apartments for reasonable rates all over the world. We use them all the time. The only time we got off on the wrong track is when we decided to try another apartment agency. After that we will never use anyone but AIRBNB.com. AIRBNB has rooms for rent and apartments for rent. If you want to rent an entire apartment, and not just a room in someone's apartment, make sure that you check the apartment option on their website when looking through their listings. Also check the various options under their amenities table. We check off Air Conditioning, Washer & Dryer, and Elevator (if it's more than a 2 story building). That way you know what to expect when you arrive.

Florida
Level Contributor
599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Wimdu

Another thing to think about is the option to contact the apartment owner via email prior to booking. That way any questions or clarification can be obtained before you book with AIRBNB.

Edited: 3:02 pm, April 30, 2013
Reply to: Wimdu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted