We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous visit pending ???

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Nervous visit pending ???

I am due to stay in the APSIS SPLENDID hotel on Monday for a few nights and the reviews were good at the time I boked it but they are not so good as depature time approaches. Any reassurance out there ??

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous visit pending ???

Hey Ireland My daughter and I are staying at the Las Ramblas Hotel and Iam nevous also.Reading about all the pick pocket is that bad.Nervous in San Diego

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous visit pending ???

Folks -

I don't know anything about the hotel -- but re pickpockets -- the worst thing to fear in most of Europe is a purse snatching or having your pocket picked - I'm sure the Travellers in Ireland pick a pocket or two just as the gypsies do in the rest of Europe -- you aren't likely to be shot or stabbed -- so just use a money belt -

I use a money belt for my emergency stash of travellers' cheques - I've been carrying the same Amex $600US for years - I also carry about $500 in US bills, 300 Euros and perhaps 50L Sterling in case my flight gets diverted or something. That's my stash. The money belt is tucked inside my underwear.

My Tickets and passport, perhaps 200 euros walking around money, as well as extra credit cards and ATM cards go in a neck wallet that also gets tucked inside my pants. (I only wear a skirt if I have a gun to my head.)

I carry a very small shoulder bag. In it I carry a day's worth of Euros, my small digital camera and extra memory card, a pen, and my utility credit and ATM cards. That goes across my body, over my t-shirt and under my sweater.

There is nothing in my pockets except tissues and perhaps a candy or two, so I don't have to worry about much -- I am always aware of who and what is around me - after all, the people watching is the best activity there is when you're travelling.

I travel alone most of the time - I look for well lit areas with pedestrian traffic -- I had no problems in Las Ramblas, or anywhere else in Spain. Because of the late dinner hour, it's possible to have company on the street until 2 or 3 AM -- But -

In Barcelona there are plazas (with highly recommended restaurants) that are a block or two off Las Ramblas with connecting streets that are not well-lit and were virtually deserted - I didn't walk alone there - I took a cab - 2 euros well-spent -- and the restaurants were indeed terrific --

Use common sense -- don't flash cash -- and don't let the ladies with lace table cloths or the crowd of grubby little kids get close to you -- don't be afraid to be rude - just yell at them to go away --

Spain is fabulous - In Barcelona be sure to see La Sagrada Familia Cathedral and the other Gaudi buildings -- and above all enjoy la vida.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous visit pending ???

Not so worried about the pick pockets than the hotel. Is it a Fawlty Towers ??

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nervous visit pending ???

i was in barcelona 2 weeks ago on a university trip

we were constantly warned about pick pockets, but out of 150 of the group- 2 people had a bag stolen- not bad for such a large group!

definitely use a money belt for cash, cards and passport, but apart from that if you look after your belongings at all times and dont do anything stupid i woulgnt worry

as for actually in the hotel, we were staying in a youth hostel which i thought might be a bit "unsafe" for leaving belongings, but it was fine!

youll have a brilliant time, barcelona is such a great place!

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nervous visit pending ???

lisa267 what youth hostel did you stay in? Was it safe? I am helping my daughter find one. what areas of the city should she and a firend stay away from?

new york
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nervous visit pending ???

the apsis hotels are usually good. however hotel las ramblas is i can assure you a dump. it has a great address but trust me a friend of mine stayed there-it is a dump.