We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

Hey,

I'm going to be travelling alone to Barcelona at the end of the month, i'm a female in my mid 20's. I'll be arriving in the afternoon and i have booked myself into Acta Milleni on Ronda San Pau. Has anyone ever used this hotel before, i've read a few reviews and it seems ok ...

I've been reading up advice on safety in Barcelona, to be honest i'm a bit worried about going out on the streets on my own, just wondering if there are any good tips for safety when travelling alone???

I'll be leaving the following morning to join a cruise ship, i figure it'll be easy enough to get a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port?

Any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

There are pickpockets? Yes

Is Barcelona unsafe? It's actually safer than most cities of its same size or less. Violent crime is very rare.

I (female) I've never felt threatened in 10 years living here, including walking alone or taking the metro at night (and 'night' here means well past midnight!). Why you should not be one of the nearly 7 million visitors per year who do *not* suffer any bad incident (but most of them don't write in the forums). Don't leave your common sense at home, take the usual precautions, be street wise and have a great time!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

Thanks belsaita, nice to see something positive, your right, the vast majority of posts are a bit negative, that's what frightened me!!!

It's going to be a fantastic experience, first time travelling alone, so i will make the most of it :-)

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

You will not have a problem. While carring your purse, carry it over your shoulder under your arm where no one can get into it while walking. We saw a lady get picked while walkin on The Ramblas last time we were there. While eating, do not put the purse in the chair next to you, put it on the ground between your feet or someplace safe. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

alberta
Level Contributor
559 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

Hi Ellie !

Hubie just gave ya the best advice...carry your purse cross body...leave your bag in front...and the pick pockets will find easier targets elsewhere

I travelled to BCN last fall alone and def had concerns over the crime posts... in hindsight I wished I had not focused as much on them. I had wanted to seek out funky vintage shops. the old streets, but was worried of tales of vomit, public urination, uber crime ..on and on... Belsaita, though, had nice things to say about El Raval, El Born and they were all true! I didnt see any of that negative that is usually brought to the forefront here. Even after getting lost on the wrong side of Las Ramblas later... it was no problem...well no more prob than any large city...the guy who kept following me with 'hey pretty lady' left quickly when i turned towards one of the many police officers...and i was in the lower stag /partyarea by mistake at the time...

Be mindful but honest... dont let paranoia ruin your trip to Barcelona..it really is a wonderful city! I am 20 years past being a girl but still have no hesitation travelling BCN on my own...and will be again in a few short months. It is so stunning. I met wonderful, honest locals which helped offset the criminals of convenience who grace any large population.

I stayed just a few minutes off Las Ramblas and loved it... didnt cruise the street but the location was hard to beat. The metro was super easy to use... just dont stand there fumbling with money...and when you do go for money... just be wise and have it doubled zippered in front. Have what you might need close...and invest in a pacsafe purse to help ease your mind...they are really great !

Go and have some fun ! It really is a great city and I cant wait to be back there!

Happy Planning

:)

Edited: 10:39 pm, April 17, 2011
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

I agree with Hubie's advice also. I don't like cross body bags, but I do have a short strap regular handbag. It's carried close to my person, and there is only a nominal amount of cash in it anyway. The rest is in a money belt.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

excellent, thanks for all of the positive feed back, I'm definitely happier about going now, heading off Friday morning, can't wait :-)

7. Re: Girl Travelling alone to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 30, 2012