We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barcelona to montserrat

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
barcelona to montserrat

I've read great things about Montserrat, about 1 hour by train from Barcelona. We're a group of 7...4 adults, 2 young teens, and 1 toddler. We have 3 nights, 3 days in Barcelona. I was wondering...would it be too aggressive to skip one day in Barcelona and head out to Montserrat? Is it really worth taking a day away from Barcelona?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,812 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Gigis_mum has answered your questions to perfection. If i had to choose the Aeri over the cremallera, then i'd go for the Aeri, because you end up suspended in space shortly after setting off - although not great for people who suffer from vertigo. If you're there on a reasonable early train from Barcelona, then you will be fine with timings - I didn't know wbaout the long lunch break but I think we usually get there before 11 a.m. and leave after 5 p.m. so it's never been an issue.

If the Aeri looks like too much hassle, then the cremallera is a superb alternative - it's a win/win situation, really. If you can do both, even better.

I'll check out your pics later, G_m - can't get at flickr from here.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,812 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Some super pics, G_m, giving an idea of both the monastery area and the mountain top. We're not very deligent about photographing the mountain.

You've given me a yen for returning. We haven't been up since about 2008 and I'm not sure we will fit it in in September, but we're considering a trip at a different time of year in 2012 (don't think we can manage La Merce :( ), so maybe then. Spring must be lovely up there.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,252 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Thanks very much, Pandachris!

A warm spring day sounds like the perfect occasion to visit!

So much to do, so little time....

I read somewhere about nature trails on the back side of the mountains of the monastery but I can't find that info right now. This website of Parks in Catalunya seems nice:

…gencat.cat/portal/…

north georgia...
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Thanks for the info on this site after I asked my question on another thread. It had Lots of good info!

If going one way by tram and one way by funicular is cost-prohibitive, is there some way that two travelers could each buy one r.t. ticket each, and swap at the top? ? ? Or is that too complicated?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,252 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Hi again Bizarro!

An interesting solution, but with one problem: you won't be able to ride together!

For example, if Traveler 1 buys a Transmontserrat Card for rack railway, he'll have 2 rides on the rack (up and down). Traveler 2 buys a card for the cable car and he has 2 rides on the cable car (up and down). Two people can swap cards but they won't be able to ride the rack up and the cable car down -- together.

Last year, my son and I puzzled over this for weeks. The cheapest alternative we found (with the confirmation of local TA members) was to buy the Transmontserrat Card and ADD 1 single journey ticket for either rack railway or cable car. Thus, each person would WASTE 1 single journey ticket.

BTW, I LOVE these transportation and trip-related puzzles! At this rate, I'll never suffer from Alzheimer's :-P

Edited: 2:04 pm, March 31, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: barcelona to montserrat

That sounds perfect for our Montserrat trip, GG....there are 4 of us, we'll go in two's, and experience both!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,252 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Ha ha! You're going to have so much fun, Diamondlover! I'm jealous! Make sure to indicate very clearly to the ticket vendor that you want 2 and 2. Or use the vending machine.

And don't forget to stop at the cafeteria for gelato and the gift store for a sample of some liqueur. I don't know what the liqueur is but it must have something to do with the Monastery!

north georgia...
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: barcelona to montserrat

gigi's mum, Your March 31 suggestion sounds interesting about how to get both modes of transport into play! However, we are on a cruise, MUST be back by 4pm and would like to squeeze in a short romp thru Parc Guell. Do you think we are nuts, or is this possibly do-able? ? ? We, too, are trying to stave off Alzheimer's, but this question may have you thinkin' we've succumbed... Thanks for any suggestions !

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,812 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: barcelona to montserrat

I'm sure G_M will have a view, but I think you will struggle to manage both Montserrat and Parc Guell in one day AND be back on board by 4 p.m.

The only way that I can see that it would be feasible would be to book a car and driver for the whole day and get as early a start as possible. You could rent a car and drive yourself, of course, but that sounds daunting. I reckon that I could find Parc Guell from Montserrat but I'm not sure I'd want to do it against the clock - and then there's parking to think about.

With only one train an hour from Montserrat to Barcelona you would need to be travelling back no later than 14:30 if you decide to miss Parc Guell.

If the car/driver idea sounds possible, go for it. If not, then if it's a clear day, perhaps take a cab and your binoculars to Tibidabo, from where Montserrat can look quite stunning, especially if you take the lift to the upper levels of the church. Ask the taxi driver to wait for you (won't be cheap but will save you having to wait for one to show up) or get a number to call one - and then make for Parc Guell to explore at leisure. No problem getting a Cab back to the port from the park.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,812 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: barcelona to montserrat

Oh and with a car and driver, the two routes up and down the mountain would be simple. Get the driver to drop you off at one and pick up at the other. My preference would be cable car up and rack railway down. From memory of the last time I rode the railway, it will probably be easier to find the car that way, too.