We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

understanding addresses

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
understanding addresses

what is the meaning of the numbers listed immediately after the street number, i.e., via de verdi 214, 1o - what does the "1 o" designate? Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: understanding addresses

1o = abbreviation of "primero", first floor (that would be second in the US, the street level is called here "planta baja")

2o = second floor, etc

You can find more numbers or letters meaning the door (if there is more than one apartment, office, etc per floor) i.e. carrer Balmes 124, 2o, 3a (= Balmes street number 124, second floor, third door) or Avinguda Diagonal 345, 4o B (= Diagonal avenue number 345, 4th floor, door B)

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: understanding addresses

To complete the excellent explanation done by Belsaita:

You can also find adresses like this, avoinding the use of "o" and "a"

C\ Avinguda Digonal, 654-656 4-1

654-656: Bulding number

4: Fourth floor

1: First door

The main rule numbering the building is the next but there are some exceptions like my street (I don't know why)

Vertical streets: Lower on the "sea" (east)

Horizontal streets: Lower on the left side (south)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: understanding addresses

And odd numbers in one side of the street and evens in the other... :-)

Thanks Xaf... I always forget the rule about numbering!

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: understanding addresses

Ohh, another important point about "odd" and "even" numbers.

If you are in front the "64" mind that across the street may not be placed the 65. Maybe in front of the 64 is the 33 or the 111.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: understanding addresses

Numbers not being immediately opposite happens on quite a lot of streets (Aragó here being one; it's because there are houses on only one side at start of the street) but it is very acute on Diagonal where there may be 1oo number difference. The British consulate is Diagonal 477 but across the road the building is 598. Means we locals need to have a guide just to check out which block a house-number is on.

I use the hyphenated version of the address for all my correspondence eg 96-7-1 (as used by our bank for one). Much less confusing than using 7o 1o as this often gets misread as 70 10. The letters are small and raised like degrees º, ª. Spanish keyboards include it but for everyone else......

The other thing is that the word street (Calle/carrer) is usually left out when speaking or writing addresses; otherwise abbreviation is C/.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: understanding addresses

Another one to watch out for is a street number that ends with 'Bis'. So, you may see an address such as "C/Banys Vells, 6 Bis". This means that there are two addresses on the same street with the same number i.e. C/Banys Vells 6 and C/Banys Vells 6 Bis. The use of the 'Bis' is really to say that this is the other number (e.g. 6) on this street.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: understanding addresses

Other things in addresses: Esc. A = staircase A,

bajos/baixos is planta baja/ground floor.

entl(o) = entresol/entresuelouelo (= mezzanine)

Also. pral = Principal, which may be two floors up in an old Eixample building (if there is an entresuelo too. The poshest flats as this is the "main" floor. Staircase often a lot less sumptuous from there on up!

The result of having entresuelo and principal is that you can live on something numbered 3rd floor but it's actually 5 floors up.

Here in Barcelona flats tend to have the doors on each floor numbered (1st is nearest the stairs); in other parts of Spain they often use letters for the individual flats on a floor.