We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona and easter?

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona and easter?

Hi,

What is it like in Barcelona during easter holiday?

- Does it have lots of Museum, restaurant, etc closed?

- Does it have more or less people?

- Would you go some other time if you can choose (i.e. should it be avoided)?

We are planning a trip to Barcelona and it would be around easter, but we could delay a bit if needed.

thanks,

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona and easter?

Hola Joce!

Easter 2011 in Barcelona is a double whammy, in that not only do you have easter, saturday 23rd is Sant Jordi's Day. Sant Jordi is the patron saint of Catalunya, he killed a dragon down the road, and the way it is celebrated is ladies get red roses as gifts, men get books. Thats a celebration where 6million red roses are given, €35million worth of books. The whole of the Rambles is full of book stalls and rose sellers, as is much of the city.

Trouble with your question 'would you go some other time' well everyone is different with their vacation styles, yes the city will be busy, yes some places will close as it is a holiday, but there is always too much to do and see and explore in Barcelona, so I wouldnt say dont go. Weather is usually good around the 23rd, I have been going for Sant Jordis Day for 5 years now, its a great celebration and well worth a visit. The only time I would say not to go could be august into early september, its the annual holidays and so many small shops and cafes and restaurants close, you are bound to miss a few of the great treats.

I look forward to reading what others say. Oh and some of us are planning a forum meet so we can say hello to each other and you are very welcome to come along for that. more info in due course.

If you havent been to Barcelona before, then start planning for a visit! And maybe see you there!

Bon viatge

Chris

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona and easter?

Bump.

Would be interested in other opinions also.

This will be our 1st visit.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona and easter?

Barcelona is busy all year round; tourists flock here in July and August when locals are away (so less traffic but lots of people n the streets). Tourists come all year round so we can't suggest a quiet time, if that's what you wanted.

Museums will be open mainly in the mornings and some that normally close on Mondays will be open Easter Monday

Shops will be closed Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday so if shopping is very important to you then obviously come some other time, but I can't think of any other reason not to come at Easter.

And as Chris says it's Sant Jordi too and the city really has an amazing atmosphere then. No big religious manifestations here though, not like Holy Week in Andalucia.

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona and easter?

Shopping isn't important to us, we just want to make sure that we will still be able to easily find good place to visit and eat. We don't want to go and find out that most museum/parks and restaurants are closed. Or that transportation(i.e. subway and buses) are hard to get. we don't mind seeing lots of people, but if it's the busiest week of the year, we might delay by 1 or 2 weeks (i.e. we don't want to see huge lineups everywhere we go).

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona and easter?

I can only reinforce what Lynda and Chris said.

Unless you want to avoid the crowed you should come.

Personally I like these kinds of celebrations. And I try to schedule me trips, if possible, when I can experience another nations traditions and see something extra.

Easter 2011 will be a great time to come to Barcelona.

Hope you come.

Luka, PromptGuides

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona and easter?

I use public transport maybe less than 5% of my time in Barcelona, but if you choose a hotel miles out of town you cant just walk!

Its one of Barcelona's great celebrations and it would be a shame if you avoided the city. There are always taxis, always restaurants cafes and bars open, you just need to work out what you want to see and do and check opening hours online.

The queues will be a bit longer for sagrada familia, pedrera, HOHO bus etc but any savvy traveller knows to go early to avoid queues and avoid peak times.

I am already booked to go, i am not in the least bit bothered about sharing my city with a few extra tourists, and i will have no problem getting around and eating and drinking in all my regular haunts.

And am very much hoping that we can have some barcelona forum meets over easter as so many will be there. Imagine meeting forum regulars and benefitting first hand from their local knowledge! (apart from my top secret bar!) (unless you buy the drinks and swear to keep it a secret)

Start your planning, and look out for some posts in january 2011 for whats on over easter to keep you informed.

Chris

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona and easter?

We are actually booked for Easter week 2011 and can't wait. From the research I have done, ALL museums are open, even those that usually aren't open on Monday will be open. We don't care too much about shopping and can do our shopping early in the week.

I am a bit concerned about restaurants, though. One hot spot (Alkimia) I checked already said "closed Easter week." Of course, there is always somewhere to eat but I am hoping that at least some of the top places will be open. We are foodies and are going in part, to eat!

Also, I am curious about Semana Santa festivities. Are there any? We were in Granada for Semana Santa several years ago and it was fantastic, I am hoping there are at least some processions, somewhere, in Barcelona...

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona and easter?

Hola Sczinn!

Thanks for museum opening info, much appreciated thanks to your research.

As for Santa, you are more likely to see Santa Claus although there are some small processions at the cathedral. Instead, you can join in dancing the sardana, the ancient Catalan dance outside the cathedral, sat @ 6pm, sun @ 12noon although it can be changed for processions/mass times and sun @ 6pm in plaça de sant jaume.

Have a great time and see you there!

Bon viatge!

Chris

9. Re: Barcelona and easter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 12, 2011