We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iloilo
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Barcelona to Madrid

We are taking the train from barcelona to madrid, should I book the ticket now or wait when we get to barcelona? we are staying 3 nights in Barcelona, is it ok not to pre book the train ticket?

Tarragona, Spain
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Much better prices for pre-booking.The earlier the better i.e. cheaper.

The official RENFE booking site is however (perhaps) the least user friendly one in the whole universe.

OK. Just in Spain.

Check out frequently asked questions.

Massively detailed help available there.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Hi there

As Jim said, I would recommend booking ahead. The long distance trains here so run a little like flights! I replied to a similar question a few weeks ago so I think this information should help you too:

The trip from Barcelona to Madrid by train usually takes around 3 to 3 ½ hours. You can see journey times here on the English part of the Spanish rail website RENFE:

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Trains to Madrid are very frequent (about 3 an hour) and prices vary. For a standard ticket is costs about 115 €. The train stations are very easily accessible.

However, you may also want to think about travelling by air. If you are travelling from Barcelona El Prat (the principal airport near Barcelona), then the flight itself takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport from the centre of Barcelona, depending on your means of transport.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask. I hope you have a great trip!

Charlotte (Oh-Barcelona)

3. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2011