We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
43 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

We're hoping to drive from Barcelona to Nice next spring. I've heard that Barcelona sees many rental cars that originated in France, and can be obtained for travel back to France without the normal, and extremely hight drop-off fees. Can anyone confirm how likely this is? Contact info for Barcelona rentals where this might be achieved?

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

"I've heard that Barcelona sees many rental cars that originated in France". Where did you hear that? I didn't know there were that many wealthy individuals renting cars in France and dropping them off in Spain.

Your best bet would be to check with the major rental car companies that operate in both France and Spain (Avis, Hertz, Europcar, Auto Europe, etc) to see what they say.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

We get quite a few questions on TA about driving a hire car from Nice to Barcelona (or the other way round), but they all lose interest when they find that the relocation fee is over €200. I think you have heard an urban myth.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

I agree with the above posts. Anytime you return across the border, you will incur a stiff drop-off fee. Just take the train across and pick up another car once you go into France.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
43 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

Thanks for your replies. I heard this from a reliable source that had the experience, but it sounds like it's not very common. Guess we'll check rail & air.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

well your reliable source was probably lucky (maybe a special event that make people coming to barcelona?)

most people (in both ways) just drop the car near the border and do a part of the trip by train to avoid the fees.

Liege
Level Contributor
260 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

I once tried to do that too, from France to Spain but it is impossible, too expensive ... they are right, take the train ...

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
841 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

I had worked in Hertz some years ago and the drop off charge was very expensive, up to 600 eur. I recommend you to deliver your car in Sain close to the French border. Then catch the train and rent another car once you are in France. You will save money.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

Most car hire firms will impose an extra insurance charge if you are driving into France/Andorra and coming back again.

All cars will have the country letter on the number plate, so will have to be returned to the originating country before they can be hired out again.

9. Re: Car Rental - Pickup in Spain, Drop-off in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 02, 2010