We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
8 posts
Save Topic
First Time to Barcelona

My best friend and I are headed to Barcelona in February for just 3 short days. Suggestions for sites we must see, things we must do, where we have to eat, and a great place for a cocktail would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

england
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Barcelona

We just got from our 1st visit a few days ago. Three days goes quick so plan where you want to go. Park guell was a hidden tresure and good views of the city. Ice bar at port olympic is a good place to have drinks in a different atmosphere (a ice room at -12). Also many nice bars at port olympic.

Have a good time.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Barcelona

Some days ago I published this post for another traveller. I'll repeat it for you. If any particular question, just ask it.

I would recommend you:

Passeig de Gracia: It's the principal avenue in Barcelona. There you'll find the most famous catalonian modernist style houses (La Pedrera and Casa Batlló) by Antonio Gaudí, and if you look all the block at the left of casa Batlló you'll discover some houses from Puig i Caldafach and Lluis Doménech i Montaner, also in modernist style as good as the others. In front of La Pedrera, by Passeig de Gràcia, you'll see another façade with a lot of curves reminding La Pedrera, but this one is very modern, it was finished this year and is from a modern arquitect very famous named Toyo Ito (responsible also of the design of Fira 2).

Then, just walking 4 blocks from La Pedrera (look at La Pedrera's activity program because they offer jazz concerts on the top of the building), you'll find "Les Puntxes" and "Palau Baró de Quadras" (this one at Av. Diagonal 373) the last one with free entrance and free expositions (the Casa Asia is setled there http://www.casaasia.es/ ).

Then, I would pass by Plaza Catalunya and take the "Portal del Angel", and go to the bar / restaurant Quatre Gats - carrer Montsió nº 3, very famous because Picasso, Rubén Darío, Antonio Gaudí and many more used to go and organized intelectual chats there. It's also a Modernist Style building by Puig i Caldafach. Visit their web http://www.4gats.com/ . Then, while visiting the gothic neighborhood, I would pass by the Cathedral to go to de Palau de la Música http://www.palaumusica.org/ another EXCELENT building with a very complicated decoration (outside and inside). You could find a good concert and discover the interior in a more participative way than the classic guided tour. Then, if you like museums, you could go to the Picasso Museum (a very good choice). I would as well go to Santa María del Mar church (there is the book by Ildefonso Falcones called "Cathedral of the sea" that talk about Barcelona and Catalunya at middle age -it's an acceptable novel).

Behind Santa Mª del Mar church is "el borne" avenue where at night you'll find nice pubs with excellent mojitos and music, a cool place to go at night. I recommend you the pub "Mirame lindo".

Near there, it's the Port Olimpic, a sea promenade very nice to see, with restaurants, pubs (a good choice for the night but expensive -you could try "el bestial" restaurant)

The next day I would go to the Sagrada Familia (the Holly Family Temple still under construction) by Antonio Gaudí, and take the elevator to the top of the campanary tower). Then, just 6 blocks far, there is the Sant Pau Hospital with free entrance (another modernist building). If you want to take a cheap and standard spanish "tapa", next to the Sagrada Familia, taking Av. Gaudí through the Sant Pau, you'll see the "Intertapas Bar" where you can eat most of the common spanish tapas (tortilla a la española, choricitos, pimientos de padrón, pintxos, jamón ibérico, queso manchego, rabas, chocos, berberechos, etc, etc at normal prices and they have more than 40 types of beers (I like the Leffe brune - direct from barrel). Don't ever order paellas at this places, they are pre- prepared and are not very good, we don't ever order them. If you want Paellas, I recommend you Escribà at port olimpic or Can Manel at La Barceloneta (expensive but very good quality).

At last, I would go to the Parc Güell (don't dare to miss it) by Antonio Gaudí.

For nice views I would go to Monjüic where from 7 to 9 there is the "font mágica" show of lights, músic and water (free). There you'll find also the Catalonian National Art Museum (MNAC), the Mies Van der Rohe's German Pavillion for the World Expo and the Casa Ramona where you'll find de CosmoCaixa museum (free entrance).

Nice trip

3. Re: First Time to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 26, 2010