We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

My partner and I will be spending the first week of November in Barcelona. I have never been before and I am looking for advice on what I should not miss on my first trip there. I know Barca is not a major museum city, but if I wanted to go to a museum or two which are the best? And last question, what food experinces should we not miss?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
granvisconti@yahoo.c...
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

what kind of art do you like? There are great museums, but there are other places to look at art.

I love the Palau de la Musica Catalana, with tours in English or Spanish - it's like Carnegie Hall if it had been built by Tiffany, an Art Nouveau delicacy that will make you want to see ANY concert in its auditorium.

The Gaudi architecture is the main attraction - each of the "big name" buildings are fascinating - but try to go to the top of La Sagrada Familia, the symbol of the city.

MNAC and the museums on Montjuic (Fundacion Joan Miro, if you like Modern) are a good way to spend the better part of the day. I also love the original "dancing water" of La Font Magica, a huge fountain with choreographed water shows to the tunes of Tchiakovsky, ABBA, and other pop favorites, in the evening (7-9pm during autumn & winter months, on the website). Pavilion Mies van der Rohe sits in the same parc - a contrast between the old and the new (well, 1920's-ish)views of the city.

Autumn can be a little damp. If you forget your umbrella, head to the huge La Corte Inglese department store in Placa Catalunya. This is also one of the main transit hubs of the city, for subways and buses. This is also the heart of the city, where crowds converge for New Year's, World Cup victories, Saturday nights, lunch - everything. It is also the gate way to Passeig de Gracia. the Eixample, and the northern neighborhoods.

BARCELONATURISME.COM is a great website, with detailed info about every aspect of the city. (It's the "official" website, so it may be a little more accurate than some others.)

Restaurants are a different answer.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
Sardinia, Italy
Cerveceria Catalana
Cerveceria Catalana
393 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Gaudi
Hotel Gaudi
1,539 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
133,803 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Bar Joan
Bar Joan
144 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
457 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Passeig de Gracia
Passeig de Gracia
11,932 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

Hi,

To start you off try "What are the 'Must See' sights in Barcelona?' under Top Questions (top right of this page)

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

in barca?... you can sail!! ;)

or you mean in barcelona?? LOL

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

lol, I mean Barcelona, I was running out of room in my header!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

Try Barna. Barca is the football team (when not a boat). BARNA is what you see written in big letters on some lanes on the motorways.

My one recommendation - Parc Guell. To my mind at least, a much more accessible way to discover Gaudi. I had to laugh last night. We watched 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' and two of the main characters did a scene in front of the Gaudi lizard in Parc Guell, with no other tourists in sight! We had to wait about 10 minutes to get a photo of it that didn't have another grinning tourist sitting on the wall.

Mentioned in this post
Park Guell
Park Guell
63,981 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Gaudi
Hotel Gaudi
1,539 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

for art lovers, both the Miro and Picasso museums are "major." The MNAC and the modern museum are not major, though the former is worth a focused visit. As others have said, everything Gaudi is not to be missed. Food Experiences--a visit to Boqueria market is essential. Restaurant-wise, you will need to do a bit of studying, but the main targets of your attention should be places specializing in Catalan cuisine (both traditional and contemporary), and seafood.

Mentioned in this post
Museo Picasso
Museo Picasso
8,447 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Gaudi
Hotel Gaudi
1,539 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

my own faves (in no particular order):

palau de la musica catalana

park güell

palau de pedralbes

... and getting lost around the old town and gràcia

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

I think Granvisconti made clever recomendations. I consider Palau de la Música, Parc Güell, Sagrada Familia and the most famous Gaudi's "la Pedrera" and "Casa Batlló" would be good samples of the modernist style catalog. I also agree that the Picasso Museum is a MUST. Once you see the Sagrada Familia, you coud also go to the "Sant Pau" hospital by Lluis Domènech i Montaner, that is within walking distance from there and free entrance (It'll take you a few time).

Related to food, try to go to any Catalonyan restaurant, and a dish I think you shouldn't miss is the "Fideuá", the catalonian Paella made with noddles instead of rice. I think a good place to take it is "Escribà" at Port olimpic (try their web) They are at Rda. Litoral Mar, 42 CP 08005 T: 93 221 07 29. They also have very good deserts. It's not cheap but it's very good. For catalonian style food, I would try the centric "Semproniana" at Roselló street number 148 between Aribau and Muntaner. T: 93 453 18 20. www.semproniana.net is their web. Another restaurant with catalonian dishes is Cal Boter, at Gràcia Neighborhood at Tordera street number 62 t: 93 458 84 62 http://barcelona.salir.com/cal_boter you should make a reservation to find a table.

I also recommend you go to "Quatre gats" to drink a beer or at the afternoon to eat "chocolate con churros", it's a very historic restaurant, where Picasso, Ruben Darío (the writter), Antoni Gaudí, and other artists used to go. The house is modernist style also (the catalonian art nouveau) dessigned by Puig i Caldafach. Try the web http://www.4gats.com/

Go to "La boquería" market, at "las ramblas". it's a nice market and there are little bars inside. Beware of the wallet at "las ramblas".

Nice trip

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
Sardinia, Italy
Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Basilica of the Sagrada...
133,803 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Catalonia La Pedrera
Catalonia La Pedrera
623 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Museo Picasso
Museo Picasso
8,447 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Pau
Pau
Communaute d'Agglomeration Pau-Pyrenees, France
Port Olimpic
Port Olimpic
310 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Semproniana
Semproniana
638 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Restaurante Cal Boter
Restaurante Cal Boter
438 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

I guess if you have Woody Allen $ you can have Pacr Guell all to your own. I am also going to attempt to get a picture with the Gaudi lizard. Thanks for the advice!

Mentioned in this post
Catalonia Park Guell
Catalonia Park Guell
1,017 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Gaudi
Hotel Gaudi
1,539 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
granvisconti@yahoo.c...
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Barca...what can I skil and what can't I miss?

gracias, JorG! your comments are spot-on as well.

For tapas, you can take the highroad or the lowroad. Both can be amazing. Just try to be adventurous (meaning - order something besides steak).

Paco Meralgo (Muntaner 171, bet Corsega/Paris) is one of the best in the Eixample, and the city. There are separate entrances (smoking/non), reservations highly recommended. The bombes, the albondigas, the navajas - everything muy delicioso. I have never had a bad dish. (The tiny chuletas are a particular favorite.)

Bar Mut (Pau Claris 92, near the Diagonal) is the Hollywood version of a Spanish taverna, but everything is excellent. Again, if you don't have a reservation in the evening - forget it. My "fashion" friends loooooooooooove this place. (I prefer the place listed above.)

Can Mano (Calle del Baluard 12) is the favorite seafood restaurant of all of my friends in BCN. Also know by my ex-pat chums as "that fish restaurant".

Cal Pep (Pl. de las Olles 8, in the Born) is another "destination" for foodies. I have had better experiences at lunch than at dinner, the trick being to be there 20 minutes (or more) before they open. Sit at the counter, forget the "menu", and let Pep cook what he thinks you SHOULD have to eat. Yes, full of tourists, but you have the novelty of the famed chef, in his restaurant, cooking for YOU.

(The mixto is always BEYOND....mmmmmmmmm!)

Any of the Grupo TraGaLuz restaurants (Bar Lobo, El Japones, Bestial, etc) offer a polished, modern dining experience (more LA than ESP). The food is good, the atmosphere modern, and the crowd - beautiful. They are alll convienently located near the main parts of the city - they also operate Hotel Ohm.

Ciudad Condal (Rambla de Catalunya 18) has classic tapas, with a loyal local following. Forget trying to get in the door after 2pm. Ignore other postings about a "small" restaurant - the place is a lot bigger than the front bar and the outdoor seating.

Commerc 24 (same address, in the Born) can offer an amazing evening - but they are "too cool for school", with ridiculously condescending service. However, i have had some singularly fantastic dishes - for desert, dark chocolate "cups", filled with fragrant first-press olive oil, seasoned with sea salt. Ouch! Molto carina!

ABAC is a good reason to trek up to Tibidabo (Adria-related and Michelin stars are other reasons). I prefered the restaurant in its old location, in the Park Hotel, in the Born, but it's still delicious.

For more "local" food - Meson David (Calle Carettes 63, in the Raval) is known for it's braised pork shoulder. HUGE, and most satisfying for a carnivore.

For myself, I stop by Can Paixano (Carrer de la Reina Cristina 7) at least once a day. Always packed with tourists, exchange students, old ladies, and fishermen, I squeeze up to the counter, order two lomo y serrano sandwiches, and polish off a bottle of cava rosado (pink chmpagne) for less than 10 euro, happy and content to be home again. :)

http://www.bcnrestaurantes.com/ is a slightly outdated website, but provides addresses, phone #'s, and a broad listing of every type of restaurant in the city. There are hundreds and hundreds of options.

Buen Provecho!

Mentioned in this post
Paco Meralgo
Paco Meralgo
2,109 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bar Mut
Bar Mut
1,149 Reviews