We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona on my own...

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona on my own...

Please let me know your opinions to two a full days tours in Barcelona I will be in The Silken Habana Grand and two more nights in the ME ...

Please mention the Most do and don´t miss in Barcelona, in your personal opinion.

Also how is the transportation to and from all the attractions "Inexpensive please" ex train, metro, subway, bus, etc.

I don´t mind to walk.

Thank You All.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona on my own...

Look to the top right and there are posts with ALL the answers you'll need, if you still have more someone will gladly answer for you.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona on my own...

Do you think the Bus turistic is a good choice?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona on my own...

Hi,

As LaBoricua said the Must Sees and lots of other info under Top Questions, as for the Bus Touristic, it is a very good way of getting your bearings and if time is limited it as a good way of taking you round many of the main sights, however, it does not go into the old town as the streets are too narrow. In peak season it can be packed, you may not get a top deck seat initially and there may be queues at the main stops such as Plaça de Catalunya.

It is not clear how long you have got, you say 2 days tours, but then imply you are staying for another 2. If you have a longer stay, maybe use the Bus Turistic to get your bearings then explore by foot and metro / bus using a T-10 card.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona on my own...

I will be there in the beginning of November how is the weather in that month? Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona on my own...

From what I saw in your profile, I think you like a not too touristic way of travelling, so, I don't think the tourist bus could be an option. I have to agree that it gives you a quick idea of what the city is about though.

For a two day stay, I would recommend you:

Passeig de Gracia: there you'll find the most famous catalonian modernist style houses (La Pedrera and Casa Batlló)by Antonio Gaudí, and if you look all the block to the left of casa Batlló you'll discover some houses from Puig i Caldafach and Lluis Doménech i Montaner, also in modernist style as good as the others. In front of La Pedrera, by Passeig de Gràcia, you'll see anather Façade with a lot of curves, but this one is very modern, it was finished this year and is from a modern arquitect very famous named Toyo Ito (responsible also of the design of Fira 2).

Then, just walking 4 blocks from La Pedrera (look at La Pedrera's activity program because they offer jazz concerts on the top of the building), you'll find "Les Puntxes" and "Palau Baró de Quadras" (this one at Av. Diagonal 373)the last one with free entrance and free expositions (the Casa Asia is setled there http://www.casaasia.es/ ).

Then, I would pass by Plaza Catalunya and take the "Puerta del Angel", and go to the bar / restaurant Quatre Gats - carrer Montsió nº 3, very famous because Picasso, Rubén Darío, Antonio Gaudí and many more used to go and organized intelectual chats there. It's also a Modernist Style building by Puig i Caldafach. Visit their web http://www.4gats.com/ . Then, while visiting the gotic neighborhood, I would pass by the Cathedral to go to de Palau de la Música http://www.palaumusica.org/ another EXCELENT building with a very complicated decoration (outside and inside). You could find a good concert and discover the interior in a more participative way than the classic guided tour. Then, if you like museums, you could go to the Picasso Museum (a very good choice). I would as well go to Santa María del Mar church(there is the book by Ildefonso Falcones called "Cathedral of the sea" that talk about Barcelona and Catalunya at middle age -it's an acceptable novel).

Behind Santa Mª del Mar is "el borne" avenue where at night you'll find nice pubs with excellent mojitos and music, a cool place to go at night.

Near there, it's the Port Olimpic, a sea promenade very nice to see, with restaurants, pubs (a good choice for the night but expensive -you could try "el bestial" restaurant)

The next day I would go to the Sagrada Familia (the Holly Family Temple still under construction) by Antonio Gaudí, and take the elevator to the top of the campanary tower). Then, just 6 blocks far, there is the Sant Pau Hospital with free entrance (another modernist building). If you want to take a cheap and standard spanish "tapa", next to the Sagrada Familia, taking Av. Gaudí through the Sant Pau, you'll see the "Intertapas Bar" where you can eat most of the common spanish tapas (tortilla a la española, choricitos, pimientos de padrón, pintxos, jamón ibérico, queso manchego, rabas, chocos, berberechos, etc, etc at normal prices and they have more than 40 types of beers (I like the Leffe brune - direct from barrel). Don't ever order paellas at this places, they are pre- prepared and are not very good, we don't ever order them. If you want Paellas, I recommend you Escribà at port olimpic or Can Manel at La Barceloneta (expensive but very good quality).

At last, I would go to the Parc Güell (don't dare to miss it).

For nice views I would go to Monjüic where from 7 to 9 there is the "font mágica" show of lights, músic and water (free). There you'll find also the Catalonian National Art Museum (MNAC), the Mies Van der Rohe's German Pavillion for the World Expo and the Casa Ramona where you'll find de CosmoCaixa museum (free entrance).

If you want to dance at night I recommend you "luz de gas" (never go with deportive shoes because they won't let you in) or at the raval a smaller and simplier place called "Les Enfants"

Nice trip

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona on my own...

Thanks JorG, amazing post very informative and also very very useful, right now I am making notes and I am going to print it to keep it on my trip...

Thank you very much for your help and for takinbg the time to post in this thread...

:)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona on my own...

;) I'm glad you found it useful.

Just two more things: The "La Boquería" market is very nice and there are some bars that serve good dishes (it's very central, just at las ramblas. You'll probably like to go to "las ramblas", a very very very touristic avenue with some good "living statues", and other street shows. There it is the "Teatre Liceu", the opera house of Barcelona. It's nice and they offer very good shows.

Be careful with your wallet, cammera and the rest at: Las Ramblas, Plaza Catalunya, at the airport and at Saint Estació train station. There are pickpockets in that places. At Sants Estació if you leave your bag on a chair, they could steal if you don't watch it. In general, Barcelona is a very safe city though, don't take this advice as an alarm please!.

Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona on my own...

JorG what a superb & helpful post! We are so excited to have a return visit to your amazing city next month. Last time we got to see many of the Barcelona must-sees via HOHO so this time we hope to see a little more.

We intend on walking along Passeig de Gracia to see as much of the wonderful modernist architecture as possible. If you had to choose between an inside visit to either La Pedrera or Casa Battlo, which would you select & why? And would you have any info on afternoon concerts at Palau Musica? We intend to do a tour but a concert would be all the better.

Many thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona on my own...

Hi MightyQuinnAgain!.

If I had to choose, I would visit La Pedrera (the real name is Casa Milá), because I think it's a 3D conceived building instead of the 2D (plane) decoration of Casa Batlló. Inside La Pedrera there is a little auditorium in the street level with piano concerts for 3 or 4 euros with the xtra to see the decoration of the ceiling (it's like a giant marshmallow hanging from the ceiling).

What I think is the best of this house is the roof, it's a promenade between stone masks (the chims) and strange sculptures. It worthes the ticket price.

The Battló is ok but just decoration. In fact, this building was not dessigned by Gaudí, it was a pre existence and Gaudí just made a rehabilitation of the façades (front and rare) with the modernist language (superb façades), and dessigned part of the inside decoration (the stair, and others).

The Palau de la Musica is very very nice, I strongly recommend it. October 23th and 24th, there is a "la oreja de Van Gogh" concert which I recommend. It's spanish contemporary music.

If you come in november, the 25 th there is a David Bisbal concert (it might like you) the spanish winner of the spanish version of the X-factor in 2004, he is a pop singer with flamenco reminiscenses. If you like jazz they offer de 41th International Barcelona Jazz Festival. Try their web http://www.palaumusica.org/ and go to "programation and sale of tickets" where you'll find the costs.

Nice trip.

Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona on my own...

Casa Mila it is then! We'll enjoy Casa Battlo & the other modernist wonders from the outside. I'm already grinning in anticipation of seeing all this quirky architecture again.

As it turns out, we'll be in Barcelona on Fri Nov 13 during the Jazz Festival at Palau Musica. Hope it's not unlucky & regular tours are cancelled. We'll know soon when we try to purchase tickets on-line.

Thanks again for your helpful reply, JorGBarcelona.