We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tap water

cumbria
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
tap water

sorry to sound trivial, but am planning a trip to Barcelona in September and to be on the safe side could anyone tell me if the tap water is safe to drink for English travellers?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
91 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: tap water

the water in barcelona and the rest of spain is safe. my husband and i filled our water bottles from local taps all over the city. a few years ago i became ill from drinking the water in athens.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: tap water

I asked the same question earlier on this forum. I was told that tap water is safe - however most drink bottled because they don't like the taste of tap (but it is supposed to be okay to drink.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: tap water

personally i never take a chance, it's not that the tap water is dodgy it just has a different mineral content to what we may be used to. given that it is so cheap to buy bottled water i don't risk it

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
290 reviews
4. Re: tap water

Yes its totally safe to drink. I have been drinking it since 1989 and never once ill.

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: tap water

I've been drinking tap water in Barcelona since I as born and still alive :D

cumbria
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: tap water

thanks to everyone who replied, i just thought that the tap water in all of spain was not to be touched, but i have only been to majorca and you aren't supposed to drink it there.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,838 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: tap water

Tap water in Barcelona doesn't taste that great so we buy 5 litre carafes of mineral water to drink with meals, but no problem brushing your teeth etc.

8. Re: tap water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 24, 2009