We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
6 posts
Save Topic
1st timer in Barcelona

Hi There,

Planning a trip to Barcelona for the first time on the 26th March for 3 days. I am wanting to visit most of the majoir places and just wondering whats the best and cheapest way of doing this?

Thought about purchasing a Barcelona Card as this covers my transport from airport to hotel and travel for the rest of the holiday which seems great, also with the added discounts you recieve, but then just seen the Bus Turistic Tour, This look great as well and I'm confused now!

Any advice or idea's would be great thanks guys!

Thanks in advance

Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

If you like to see a lot of sights, a Barcelona Card is a good idea. Since I prefer walking and speak Spanish, I've never done a Turistic Bus tour. The guided tour may be good if you don't want to be tied to a book/map the whole day.

Seeing Montjuic (Olympic area) is excellet. The view of Barcelona from up there is incredible on a clear day. We got there by public bus.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

I would do the Bus Turistic tour. It's a jump on and off bus that covers all of the major attractions. Barcelona is a huge city and they have 2 routs that you have to your disposition. I would do that tour early on to get a lay of the land and then decide where you want to spend more time. I think the passes are good for 24hrs. When I go to BCN I usually stay near the Ramblas.

Hope this helps.

Jose

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

As itb is your first time get the Tourist card.

Definitely go to The Cathedral , Montjuic & Parc Guell.

I can recommene an excellent but reasonably priced restraunt if your want as well

newcastle england
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

Hello Danca,

My wife and I have just been to Barcelona and it was our first time too.Can highly recommend the Barcelona Bus Turistic city tours.There are two routes red goes to the north of the city and blue goes round the south. Its a hop on hop off open top bus and they run about every ten minutes.Two consecutive day pass means you can do one route a day or both routes the first day decide what you want to see and go back the next. The buses do get very busy especially mid morning and at weekends.The round trip takes about one and a half hours and you get audio commentary.

It works out a bit cheaper buying tickets on line before you go at www.barcelonanaturisme.com about 23euro instead of 26euro. You get a printed voucher which you take to the tourist information where they exchange it for your tickets and book of money off vouchers.Tourist information is located underground at Pl de Catalunya(a large square at the top of La Ramblas) where the tour buses start from.

I did read that the Barcelona Card wasn't very good value thats why we opted for the bus tour.

By the way Barcelona has an excellent Metro system trains run every few minutes its clean and modern and felt safe (be aware that there are apparently lots of pickpocket operating around the city). Cost 1.30euro each trip but you could buy two day passes very easy to use routes numbered and colour coded you just need to make sure your heading in the right direction and you cant go wrong.

I wrote a review on our hotel Grupotel Gravina with a bit of info on transfers from Girona airport if its any use to you.

Hope above is of some use to you enjoy your trip weather was quite mild but you still need coat/fleece at night or open top buses etc.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

I never done the "tourist thing" as I do live in Barcelona, but I did some research for friends.

We found the best value, wen staying a few days, was Bus Turistic + T-10 transport cards. The discount booklet in the Bus Turistic may pay for itself. As well, these buses will take you everywhere in a relaxed way and from a nice perspective if weather allows to travel in the upper deck, you'll see a lot more of the city that from a regular bus (and of course that form the metro). The T-10 card (10 trips, about 7 €) can be shared and allows 10 trips (including transfer if needed) by metro, tram, buses and regional trains inside the city. The city center is so compact that is unlikely you use many metro or bus rides to make a 1-2-3 day card worth it.

You can use the T-10 for transport from/to the airport if using the train. However, usually the Aerobus is more convenient, not included in T-10 but only cost 7€ return trip.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

Hi

as it comes to the transport from BCN airport,

B.card does not cover AeroBus (well, 20% discount),

you can take the train or bus 46 if it suits you.

In the city metro is good and cheap, as Brian mentioned, with 2-3 day pass or T-10 ticket,

you can also walk (Old Town)

so if the transportation is the matter, B.card is not necessary.

As it comes to museum etc discounts -

depends on your plans and interests.

You can search the forum using the box over all posts to read opinnions on both

A.

Liverpool
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

Wow!

It's my first post on here and all your info is great,thanks very much!

We are staying close to Las Ramblas anyway (Hostel Opera) so very much looking forward to exploring!

So excited! Thanks again guys your advice is very helpful

8. Re: 1st timer in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 22, 2009