We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

My daughter will be studying in Perugia Italy this fall. I am going to visit her in September and we thought we'd take a long weekend (Thurs - Sunday) and go to Barcelona. We will be flying Vueling from Rome to BCN and arriving at 11pm (23:00). We are trying to decide, since we are arriving so late, whether we should spend the first night at a hotel near the airport. Two we have looked at are: Ciutat del Prat and Tryp Barcelona Aeropuerto. We are wondering if it will be easy/difficult/safe for us to get transportation to either of these hotels. We are flying out early Sunday morning and so we were considering an airport hotel for Saturday night as well...........and perhaps staying closer to Las Ramblas for Friday night (looking at Eurostarts Cristal Palace; Tryp Apolo or Hotel Pulitzer). Does this make sense? Thanks so much for your help! We may have more questions too!!

Portugal
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

I think it would be better to stay from your arrival at a central hotel. You would avoid more changes and take much proffit of time. Even at 23:00 it's very easy to get transportation to a central hotel. You could catch a taxi if that makes you feel safer; this will be about a 20 minutes and 25/ 30 € ride. This way, next morning you'd be ready to start your visit through that wonderfull city either by using the bus turistic, the hop-on, hop-off bus, which I think it's great to get familiar with the city and to visit the main atractions, one by one.

Hope this helps!

Portugal
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

Sorry, I was too quick to submit!

I was saying , either by the bus turistic or other public transportation. There is a very usefull and cheap ticket, the T10, avalable to ten trips, either by metro, bus or train and that you can share with your daughter, passing it twice in the machine, as it is not a personal ticket, but a ticket avalable to ten trips.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

I agree with mariabeiro. Taxis are numerous at the airport and the ride into the city centre is quite cheap and doesn't take long. Why stay at an airport hotel if you don't have to?

When are you planning on arriving? If you're there towards the end of September be prepared for as hock as you might coincide with the Merce festival during which the city is one of the best places to be in the world - but it can get noisy and very lively.

Check youtube or similar for videos. Search on words like Barcelona + Merce + correfoc or xambanga. The actual dates of the festival are notoriously difficult to pin down. We're going for out 6th visit and for five nights and found out today that some friends are also visiting for four nights, also hoping to see the festival but we only overlap for one night. They got their dates from a different website.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
96 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

I agree with the earlier posters about staying in Barcelona center, and avoiding the trouble of switching hotels. Remember, if you wanted to switch hotels, you have to plan your day around check out/ check in times, and if you only have 3 days to see the sights, that can be a real drag. I want to add that for your return date, if you have an early flight (I'm assuming that means you want to go to the airport at 5 am or so), then a taxi is also the best choice, but I'd recommend that you ask your hotel clerk to call for one and arrange it the evening before. They will be very happy to do this for you.

I generally prefer public transportation, and used the T-10 metro/bus ticket all the time in Barcelona, but taxis are great for at getting to the airport at odd times of day. I myself went to the airport at 10 am, so using the train (the "rodalies") was fine. My guide book says there is another option, the A1 aerobus, which travels from the airport to/from the Placa de Cataluyna and Placa d'Espanya. My guidebook says it runs every 8-10 minutes. Airport into the city from 6 am to midnight mon-fri, 6:30 am to midnight weekends. City to airport 5:30am to 11:15 pm mon-fri, 6am to 11:30 pm on weekends. Maybe this is another option if the times work out for you and you don't want to spend the 25 euros on the taxi, my guidebook says the bus is 3.60 euros one way.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

I know in most any American city, 11 pm seems like the dead of night, but remember most Spaniards are just getting home for supper at that time, and on a weekend ...and even Thursday...there is a lot of the night still to be lived.

The previous poster who mentioned the shuttle from airport to Plaza de Cataluna says the last bus runs until 11:30. If you make this, this is cheap and a great way to get to the heart of the city. (I am sorry to say I don't know how close your hotel is to this plaza.) Also, there is space for your luggage on this bus. We have taken this shuttle a number of times and stayed at a hotel near this plaza then walked to our hotel with luggage. If your hotel is too far for this, take a cab from here. It will certainly make a cheaper fare.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

Was just in Barcelona in May 2007. What a great city!

I agree with previous posters: just stay in one central hotel. The trip to and from the airport is only 45 minutes but you will loose a lot ot time transferring hotels. This will especially be the case since cruise ships dock and a lot of people are checking in on Saturday morning. (I know this from first hand experience.)

The airport bus is very easy to use. It runs from Placa Catalunya in the heart of Barcelona very frequently. The stop is right in front of the El Cortes Ingles Department Store. A taxi should cost about 25 euros.

The hop-on-hop off bus is a great way to see the highlights of the city. Try to start it on Friday since it can be crowded on Saturdays with people from the cruise ships.

We took a walking tour from the Tourist Information Center and it was well worth our time. Do plan to spend time in the Bari Gothic.

For details check www.bcn.es then click on "tourism".

Click on my name to see other posts about Barcelona. Let me know if you have any questions about any of them.

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

Thank you everyone for such great advice!! We will definitely choose a more centrally located hotel and avoid the checking-in, checking-out hassle.

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

We have actually decided to stay at Hotel Lleo in Barcelona and will be there Thursday, September 20th - Sunday September 23rd. We have booked this through venere.com. I have never used venere before, do I also need to contact the hotel to ensure they have received my reservation?

Portugal
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

It seems a good choice. Close to Pl Catalunia where you can catch metro, bus, Tourist Bus, and near Las Ramblas, too.

I've never used Venere but you have nothing to loose, if you call or email the hotel. This way you'll be sure everything is ok.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother Daughter first time Barcelona

We've used venere. We didn't bother contacting the hotel in advance but as mariaribeiro say, what have you got to lose?

You're in Barcelona at the same time as us. We weren't going yp bother this year (we now have 3 holidays booked between 15th August and 11th October) but we saw some good deals on flights and hotels and couldn't resist another trip to the Merce.

We're about 80% certain that the Merce is on during those days, so be prepared to throw away any plans you might have and immerse yourselves in something fabulous.

I've already mentioned the Merce above so if it's on (and the city is a bit weird about keeping the dates a secret) go out of your way to find a programme and then find the locations for the major events.

You can find a bit of general advice on our website, www.avengerpenguins.com as well as lots of photos in the Gallery, but things to watch out for are

Correfoc - incredible but try to ensure that you are well covered up - hat, scarf for necks and hair, long sleeves - preferably of a thick cotton material or similar, specs if you wear them (even if you normally wear contacts) and perhaps even gloves. The sparks are hot but the joy of Correfoc is getting in amongst it - at your own risk.

Xambanga - lively, fun and a lot lass scary than Correfoc

Castellers - much more exciting than they originally sound.

The food and wine festival at Port Vell - hang around there long enough and you'll see us! If you enjoy wine get dressed up and buy yourselves some elegant pink Cava.

Pirotecnica - international fireworks competition - best viewed from Barcelonetta beaches but adequate from the seaward side of i-max, so you can take your bottle of cava with you :)

BAM - Barcelona Accion Musica - various musical events from all kinds of genres accross the city. Ask the hotel staff what might be best or just pick something at random. Placa Reial is often a good spot for noisy, lively concerts and there are good bars around the edge if you need to sit down.

Bar Celta is a great little bar for tapas and atmosphere - at the port end of Avinyo on the corner of Merce - and on the Post Office (Correos) square there's another great and very un-touristy tapas place called Vendimia. Try places like these and avoid eating/drinking on La Rambla where most venues tend to be over-priced. The real joy of La Rambla is the stroll up and down it anyway.

Hope this helps. I'll be the fat English bloke with the beard and maybe a panama hat. The city will be very crowded, so take precautions against pickpockets but do say hello if you see us.