We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time To Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,006 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
First Time To Barcelona

A friend and I have decided to spent 8 days in Barcelona in early September and I have a couple of general questions just to get started.

Is this too much time for a first trip? We go to Paris each sping and spend eight days and always have plenty to do but we are very familiar with Paris and the markets, cafes, places to walk to and the language. Will we have any trouble doing the same types of things in Barcelona?

We usually fly Continental out of Newark, NJ, and we could do this using our frequent flyer miles, but there seems to be a restriction about coming back on a weekend. We are looking at either 8/30 - 9/8 or 9/6 - 9/9/15 and indicating frequent flyer miles allows us to pick either of the from dates but neither of the to dates come up as valid. We are checking this out but can anyone verify this as a restriction.

An alternative is to fly Air Portugal into Lisbon, then on to Barcelona. This is approx $200.00 less expensive then Conti and has a 2 hour layover, which is not a problem. Has anyone done this from Newark?

In addition to the beaches are there other water-related activites? Sailing or other boat trips?

I'm sure I'll have other Q's once we get our dates and air travel set.

Thanks

Pjk

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time To Barcelona

There is plenty to do, see and enjoy, so eight days should be about right for your first visit. You'll find that parts of Barcelona are very reminiscent of the 6th and 7th arrondissement.

It will allow you to take the train to Girona for a day trip, or if you want to take a couple of days, then you could pick up a car in Girona and see the Costa Brava, or head inland to Ripoll and possibly up to La Seu d'Urgell.

As this is your first trip, I suggest you download a copy of Maribel’s Guide to Barcelona (http://maribelsguides.com). I think you'll find it very useful in planning your stay.

Xaf
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time To Barcelona

I've flonw with Continental btween BCN an EWR aboard one of their 757's and it's like a nightmare so I'dont suggest you. More or less the same with TAP and their A310.

Wy do not try to fly with Delta? Can't you exchange your Continental Skyteam miles for a Delta SkyTeam flight?

If you do not want / can fly direct, try another Skyteam carrier using large planes. More comfortable nd a lot of mile to add to your account.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,006 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time To Barcelona

Thanks very much for the info...it is very helpful for a start. (I've already started a list of tapas restaurants) The comparison to the 6th and 7th is reassuring as we always stay in the 6th in Paris. We were in Spain last year for the Hemingway conference, Madrid, Malaga and Ronda, so we decided on Barcelona over Florance as a new city to explore.

The suggestions on day-trips is also helpful. Kind of like our spending a day in Montmartre. I will look into alternative carriers but It is very convenient to fly out and back from Newark.

How did you become a local expert for Pamplona?

Thanks again.

Pjk

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time To Barcelona

We've spend a lot of time in Navarra and the Basque country and going to Pamplona is like going home.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time To Barcelona

I think that you will find plenty to do in Barcelona and the nearby region. Its a sophisticated city with great architecture (not just Gaudi), historic buildings, lots of restaurants, Las Ramblas.

There are a number of walking tours from the tourist information center in Placa Catalunya. We enjoyed the Sunday morning Bari Gothic tour.

There were a lot of boats in the harbor and ferries to the Balearic islands (Mallorca, Minorca).

Look at www.bcn.es and select "tourism" on the left side of the screen.

That's one big difference from Paris: Barcelona has the Mediterranean and beaches.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time To Barcelona

Just got back from a weeks stay and can't wait to go back.

Day trip to Sitges Beach was a blast. The local train takes 40 minutes and its 5.00 euros. Great beaches and botique stores and beach side cafes.

Do see Guell Park. Its magnificant.

Stayed on Ramblas. Didn't find the noise that bad or the pickpockets.

Have a great time.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,006 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time To Barcelona

Where did you stay? I'll swap anyone a rip report for Paris / Key West for one for Barcelona.

Pjk

8. Re: First Time To Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, August 28, 2009