We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to pick up/return rental car

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
281 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to pick up/return rental car

We are staying in the Born neighborhood for several days, and then renting a car for several days - our first stop is Cardona. I am assuming it makes the most sense to rent from a city location, but is there an area that will be easier logistically based on where we are staying and where we are headed?

Also, we are returning some time the day before our departure on a very early flight. We have booked a hotel near the airport for that night. Should we try to return the car to to the airport the night before and then take a shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport in the morning?

Any advice welcome - thanks!

Hotel Rec Barcelona
Hotel Rec Barcelona
#5 of 517 hotels in Barcelona
The Corner Hotel
The Corner Hotel
#7 of 517 hotels in Barcelona
Hotel Brummell
Hotel Brummell
#10 of 517 hotels in Barcelona
3 replies to this topic
Barcelona
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to pick up/return rental car

From your location in "El Born" you are near Ronda Litoral (the B - one of the rings of the city) so it's pretty easy There are a few places near entrances to the B, like Sixt in Carrer Palaudí ries or Passeig del Taulat, EuropCar in Rosa Sensat (centre de la Vila shopping center) but also places close to Gran Via will do but It will be easier if only one (ore some) of you will go to pick up the car and than pass by the apartment/hotel to pick up the luggage and the rest of you and from there head to Cardona.

Mentioned in this post
El Born
El Born
3,551 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Ronda
Ronda
Costa del Sol, Spain
Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to pick up/return rental car

I would work backwards! As you have a long flight ahead of you, return the car to the airport, the evening before. However, it incurs an additional cost to collect and drop off a car from different locations, so check this is not prohibitive, if you decide to collect from a city location, before you book.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,452 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to pick up/return rental car

I agree with roxy and I'd add to that picking up the car from the airport too, which will eliminate any one-way drop-off fees and also avoid driving in the city - although driving out of the city is easier than driving from the outside in. With a T-10 card you can be at the airport for €1.02 pp or you can get there in 20 minutes in a taxi, which might be the easiest way dependent upon how much luggage you have.

I've dropped off cars before very early flights and you tend to have little margin for error, so if you're already staying close to the airport it will probably be less stressful to drop off the night before - and more chance of the office actually being open.

I would say that the drive to Cardona will be marginally easier from the airport, too. The roads close to the airport tend to be quite calm and signposting is good.

Reply to: Best place to pick up/return rental car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted