We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions for upcoming visit

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
160 reviews
A few questions for upcoming visit

Greetings, I will be coming in December for a visit, and have the following questions:

1. Do I need advance tickets in December for any attractions?

2. Any recommendations on hotels that offer free parking (will be renting a car for some further exploration of Spain - don't plan to drive much in Barcelona)?

Thanks for your help!

Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
726 Reviews
from $111.28*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,169 Reviews
from $44.50*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,545 Reviews
from $35.20*
Europe
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
1. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

If logistically possible, get the car when you are ready to leave Barcelona. You don't need it here at all, and it will only be a burden (to you and the city).

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
160 reviews
2. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

Hi everyone, instead of Posting about how I don't need a car... can anyone help me with actually having one? Thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,717 posts
3,787 reviews
3. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

Prebook the Sagrada Familia Basilica, the Palau de la Musica Catalana, Park Guell and the Picasso Museum.

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
160 reviews
4. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

Thank you!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
14,107 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

Few hotels in Barcelona have parking. Fewer still have free parking. We've stayed in perhaps 20 hotels up to 4* bit as l recall we have never had free parking in the city centre.

You can get it further out, for example the Travelodge at Hospitalet or business hotels in places like Molins de Rei or Sant Joan Despi but in general these are not recommended for a first visit. Advice about not having a rental car until you are leaving Barcelona is meant to help you.

Many of the people who give good advice on this forum actually live in Barcelona so don't use hotels. You might drop lucky and connect with someone who knows a central hotel with parking, although if that parking is free it will be a surprise, but don't hold your breath. The usual hotel search engines sometimes let you use parking as a criterion. If you find one, please let us know and we can probably offer some advice on the neighbourhood, facilities etc.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,912 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

The advice to drop it off and re-hire, if necessary, at the end of the trip is good. Otherwise look at the options re where to leave it parked during your stay.

I live in Barcelona and we no longer have a car of our own as we never used it in the city in any case. Taxis are cheap, for the times that public transport won't do it.

But free parking will be a dream, in central Barcelona. We have almost always had to pay for parking in a hotel car-park anywhere in Spain. I know that the Renaissance here charges over 40€ a day, but around 20€ is probably more normal (and what a parking garage might charge)

Edited: 4:33 am, September 11, 2017
new jersey
Level Contributor
462 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

In Seville I used Hotel Adriano and I know they have parking but I didn't used it. I did Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla without a car but is your choice. I saw in the train station several car rental agencies local and American ones. You will need an international drivers license permit from AAA.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

Travel Lodge Hotel Fira offers free parking. At least it did when my friends stayed there. Hope this helps. Plus its in a good part of town if you opt to use public transport which is really good in Barcelona.

Edited: 4:38 pm, September 11, 2017
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,912 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

That's not a bad location, in L´Hospitalet but not far from the Barcelona boundary and Plaça Espanya, with buses or FGC train to Espanya

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
160 reviews
10. Re: A few questions for upcoming visit

Thanks everyone. Travellodge is one place I have scoped out.

I have also been looking into a 3 day parking pass for lots in barcelona. Drive there in the not. Walk to all locations and drive back at night... this would be less than public transport for us as the car rental is already inided for a further trip throughout Spain... actually headedvto Seville, so may use that one mentioned!!! Thanks for all the help!