We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

New City, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

I am helping my husband plan a trip that he will taking with his mom this October. They will be going on a cruise that starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome. All the reservations are set except for one thing: flights.

They will be flying from NYC. It seems that NYC/Barcelona flights are expensive. My husband wonders if it makes sense to get round-trip flights for Rome, and when they arrive in Rome at the beginning of the trip, travel to Barcelona from there.

Does that make any sense, and might it be more affordable than two flights, one from NYC to Barcelona and one from Rome to NYC?

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

Have you done a multicity or open jaw search?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

That really depends on what you have looked at. Are flights cheaper to Barcelona. Compare the flights to Barcelona from the states and the flights to Rome from the states and then onward to.Barcelona. look at www. skyscanner.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

On any given day or week, flights from one place can be higher but in general I don't really find flights to BCN from NYC to be out of line with other places in southern Europe so I suggest searching well, as suggested above, and if necessary waiting. It could also be that you've inadvertently hit a high demand day in Barcelona so make sure to check +/- days if you can. I hate flying into or out of FCO but that's another matter.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

As stated above look at 'multi city' not 'one way' - but do check both. Also consider what it takes to get you from Rome to Barcelona. Find the airline that does and add the costs of flights, checked baggage (as their carry on allowance is often less than in USA), a possible hotel night and extra meals. And add the extra wear and tear on Mom before she even gets on the cruise. That round trip to Rome may become false economy.

Oh, and look at all your NYC airport options.

As an out of the box thought, if I was going to take a flight to an alternate place, look at Madrid as it is a comfortable 3 hour train ride from Barcelona.

Also, as a new TripAdvisor user, there is an air travel forum to consider asking on as well....

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html

New City, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

Thank you for the replies!

I tried skyscanner.com (thanks, mikec79!) for the first time; usually, I try kayak.com or Google Flights. I like skyscanner!

It seems that my husband's idea, to do a RT trip to Rome and then get from Rome to Barcelona, would save a bit, although not more than $200. So I am recommending that he do a nonstop flight from NYC to Barcelona at the start of the trip and a nonstop flight home from Rome at the end. That would be about $980 total per person, which I think is fine.

I also looked at flying into Madrid then taking the train to Barcelona, and that could work as well to save a bit of money. But again, I think the nonstop into Barcelona is well worth the extra $200 (or less), especially considering his mom. She is actually is excellent shape, but still!

I am going to pass all this information on to my husband, and he and his mom will make the final decision.

Thanks so much!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

You are welcome. Skyscanner has never failed me. Whatever they decide even if it costs a bit more comfort should come above everything and if that means a direct flight then go for it. I tend to always pay a bit more for comfort but it depends on everyones budget. Enjoy

Edited: 4:20 pm, July 30, 2017
New City, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

Thank you!

new jersey
Level Contributor
462 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

Look into Norwegian Airlines for sure

Italy
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

Use skyscanner to find routes and airlines. But book direct with the airlines. The prices shown by skyscanner aren't always live.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
791 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For NYC to Barcelona & Rome to NYC trip: fly in/out of Rome?

We have flought to NCY from BCN a month ago, and cost with non-direct flight is 10-20% cheaper (I checked all combinations, including scandinavian conections).

For us it was something like 50-60 € less, but...time direct is 8-9 hours and schedule is better. Time with non-direct conection is 14 hours at least.