We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation for hand luggage

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
recommendation for hand luggage

HI - I am trying to find hand luggage that fits the dimensions for Vueling's requirements. If you know of a particular hand luggage that is closest to the Vueling requirements, can you please share? I have been scouring Amazon.com and Walmart to try to find something that works. I don't want it to be much smaller than the requirements. Those are: 21.6" H x 7.87" D x 15.75" W.

If you know of any bags that are close to but not more than these dimensions, could you please share? I'm also looking for a bag that is 13.78"H by 7.87" D by 7.87" W to put under the seat.

Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,130 Reviews
from $45.40*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
680 Reviews
from $113.33*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,531 Reviews
from $35.80*
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

Hard for us in Europe be able to help, mainly because vueling's dimensions are fairly standard for European airlines so pretty well all trolley cases sold here will be that sort of size (I have been amazed by what sizes people manage to board with in the US!). The main thing to watch for probably is the depth 20cm (EasyJet is more generous, allowing 25cm).

As you'll realise from the measurents I just gave, we don't use feet and inches either (even though I grew up with feet and inches I only know the luggage dimensions in centimetres)

Under seat bag could be e.g. a laptop bag

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

I have always found that when I looked at luggage online the size of each piece was always given. Usually if a piece of luggage was small enough to be considered as "hand" or Cabin Luggage then the seller stated that.

Today the size of Cabin Luggage that some people manage to get aboard amazes me. Personally I think if you need to pull it along on wheels it ceases to be "hand" Luggage.

As for measurements, I am delighted to say, I have preserved my feet and inches.

Cheers

Anthony

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

On vuelings website they state the dimensions clearly albeit in centimetres so all you need do is look and convert.

Edited: 12:45 pm, June 27, 2017
Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

We had a similar situation when an American friend recommending a US brand combination pull along rucksack and were surprised when we found the dimensions weren't right for European airlines (too long and thin I believe). However, one trick is to look at the UK version of Amazon where all the cabin bags would fit, then check if the make and model exist in the US. Big brands like Samsonite definitely make suitable bags - but also be aware there are often weight limits for hand luggage too, so a big bag crammed too full can also be too heavy.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

Further to Saul, i have an American Tourister bag that i think is 55x40x20cm which is ok for Easyjet, Ryanair and Vueling which are the main airlines i currently use.

los angeles
Level Contributor
638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

The Lipault Paris 20 inch spinner meets these dimensions. It's also very lightweight. I bought it for a recent trip on Swiss because they had similar dimension limits for cabin baggage and was very happy with it. Available on ebags and other sites.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

Thank you all for your thoughts. Thanks Allison for that suggestion. I did find some bags on Amazon that should work. Not sure about the quality so will see when it arrives this week.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

Just to share in case others want this baggage. Cabinmax from Amazon. Size is good, but wheels are awful.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

I concur with Lynda, pretty much all European airlines these days have the same (or very similar) requirements so most trolleys and cases sold as "hand luggage" comply with these (BUT not all, especially in Chinese "dollar shops", so double-checking is always a must)

As per inches and feet... our English friends above might have grown up with them... but the rest of us Europeans have not... so if expecting a lot of assistance from locals in the forum, it's easier and normally better if you post in local units (currency, measurements, temperature etc.). Sometimes we can also be lazy ourselves to bother translating these "foreign" units, right? :)

Edited: 9:04 am, August 09, 2017
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,718 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: recommendation for hand luggage

Btw, isn't "under the seat" luggage totally banned already? I know many airlines these days only allow hand luggage to be placed in the overhead compartment (at the very least for take-off and landing), but I'm not aware if there are still some allowing the "under-the-seat" thing. Do check that with the particular airlines you're going to be flying, to avoid unpleasant surprises.