We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barelona does not want tourists anymore

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
9 posts
545 reviews
Save Topic
Barelona does not want tourists anymore

With todays announcement that Barcelona will pass new laws preventing hotels from housing tourists in a bid to cut down on the number of tourists visiting the City and other measures which will limit the number of places to stay there, can anybody suggest a City in Spain where tourists are welcome ? we would certainly never consider a City with such policies and do not want to go where we are not wanted.

Barcelona is set to pass an accommodation law to crack down on tourist numbers in the city.

The city's 1.6 million residents are heavily outnumbered by the 32 million annual visitors.

According to the Guardian, the new law is known as 'the special urban plan for tourist accommodation', and will limit the number of beds on offer at hotels and tourist apartments.

There will also be a moratorium on building new hotels and a halt in issuing licences for tourist apartments.

It's believed the effects of the plan will not be felt until 2019 as there are already a number of projects in the pipeline.

The curb on tourism is very much backed by the mayor, Ada Colau.

Ms Colau initiated the plans for the moratorium on licences for new hostels and hotels and also targeted sites offering tourist home stays, like Airbnb.

unquote

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,980 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

Here's one article with some information:

cntraveler.com/story/barcelona-approves-new-…

Coming, as I do, from a country where a majority of people have sent a message that "visitors aren't welcome" I suppose I will have to live with this change.

I've been coming to Barcelona several times most years for well over 20 years and have never encountered any hostility, except on one occasion by another tourist, because I happened to be sitting in the place he wanted to occupy and objected when he tried to climb over me.

The social problems documented in the article are real. Rents are high. Neighborhoods suffer from accommodation being blocked by developers and in some parts of the city you can barely move for tourists. However they are not limited to Barcelona. The CNT site lists a number of other places where clampdowns on tourist numbers are being implemented or considered. Clearly it's your choice about where you decide to visit but you might find your options being limited. This is a high-profile example of a trend.

That said, given the balance between overnight stays and day trippers (about 1:3) it's difficult to see how restricting hotel bed numbers will make much difference.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

That's false. The PEUAT tries to reduce speculation of flats in tourists areas, because prices have rocketed last years and many people have been forced to leave their houses due to the high prices when renting a house. That doesn't mean that we do not like tourists, what we don't like is incivism and bad attitudes, such as making noise at night, not respecting the law, etc. But we welcome all those that want to know more about our culture and traditions. Barcelona is a cosmopolitan city, we have inhabitants from the rest of the world that live here and we love them. We like tourism, but respectful ones.

For example, if you rent a legal apartment that has a license, then it's fine because the owner is paying the right taxes to make our city better. But if you rent an illegal one, then the owner isn't paying the right taxes to provide good services to our wonderful city. We welcome respectful tourists, no matter where they come from.

Edited: 4:42 am, January 28, 2017
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

Thanks for your support, pandachris. For the OP, as we say in spanish: "dime de que presumes y te dire de que careces"

Edited: 4:49 am, January 28, 2017
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

The new laws have absolutely nothing to do with not wanting tourists. It just means it will crack down on illegal renting etc. I'm fully behind Ana Colau in this respect. As a resident I have seen first hand the damage illegal renting has done to this city. People who have lived all their lives and now being forced out as they can no longer afford to live there. Tourists are welcome in Barcelona so don't be put off from coming here. Come and enjoy it.

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

It makes sense to not increase the number of hotels & to stop the illegal renting of properties for holiday rentals.

It is pushing up the market prices which means that locals can no longer afford to live in their home city.

Surely no-one wants Barcelona to become a place only geared towards tourists because then it loses it's heart & soul.

It does not mean tourists are not welcome it means that there needs to be a balance.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,980 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

Well said all. A couple of years ago we were walking from Ciutat Vella to watch Piromusical and we came across an event on a street somewhere between Raval and Sant Antoni - not a top tourist area but pleasant enough. Being nosey we stopped and bought a drink at the temporary bar and asked what was going on. They were raising money to fight evictions and leaving properties empty in the hope of pushing prices up and presumably turning them into holiday rentals. There was zero resentment towards us (obvious tourists) and a lot towards speculator and regulators who let this happen. We ended up staying and chatting much longer than intended and were further back than usual for the spectacular fireworks (free, like so many of Barcelona's most fascinating attractions).

Edited: 5:07 am, January 28, 2017
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,607 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

cool, now we will remove beds when a tourist is sleeping on it. i guess that a second step could be kick out all those that are not 100% barcelona born and then build a wall all around the city, paid by someone else, of course.

really, i think that someone should improve their comprenhension skills.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

In the interests of completeness, here is a link to original article which in fairness is much more balanced and covers many of the issues mentioned in the posts above, it certainly does not imply Barcelona doesn't want tourists anymore

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/2…

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

If we do not visit who will Benny Malaga "cut & paste" for?

What a sad loss that would be.

Anthony

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barelona does not want tourists anymore

Yep, and if you want to enter Barcelona, you'll have to say in a perfect catalan "Setze jutges d'un jutjat mengen fetge d'un penjat; si el penjat es despengés els setze jutges menjarien fetge d'un despenjat" and then you'll have to dance a sardana perfectly to enter that wall.