We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

Brisbane
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

In late September 2011 we have about 3 to 4 days to travel by hire car from Barcelona Spain to Valence sur Baise in France to pick up a Canal trip. We will have travelled to Barcelona along the coast from Narbonne, Perpignan etc so we want to go back a different way. 3 options seem to be via Andorra or the Pyrenees or in a big loop via Pamplona, San Sebastian and Bayonne. This is our first trip to France and Spain so we have not seen any of these areas.

Can anyone suggest the most attractive route? We lean more to natural sights than shops so is it true Andorra is just a big Shopping Mall? Also we are not scared of long drives (we live in Australia after all)

Edited: 10:27 pm, February 12, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

Andorra is in the Pyrenees (and forget about Mad Max). If it was me, I would take the route through Pamplona San Sebastian and Bayonne. It's far more interesting.

Brisbane
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

Thanks robert2533, what I really meant by via the "Pyrenees" was via the National Park and coming out at Lourdes, ie the middle way.

Google tells me it is about 8 or 9 hours via your suggestion so that is quite comfortable in a couple of days.

Any suggestions on the Southern Route (Zaragoza,Tudela etc) vs the Northern Route (Monzon,Jaca etc)? and any must see things along the way? I always hate to get back from a trip and discover I was 20 minutes away from some magnificent thing that everyone in the world has/wants to seen and I drove/walked right past it'

In case it makes any difference there will be 6 of us (3 retired couples) and we will be driving some sort of 8/9 seat van (possibly a Mercedes Vito)

Seltjarnarnes,Icelan...
Level Contributor
42 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

I have spent many holidays on the Costa brava and was bitterly disappointed how much of a shopping mall Andorra is. We drove through and around so many beautiful places to get there!!!!!! The customs agents could not believe that we had not purchased any alcohol or tobacco and gave us (we are grandparents) a hard time. Forget Andorra unless you are skiing

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

have yu checked with the hire company about taking the car over the border? can often work out expensive

5. Re: Driving from Barcelona to France via Pyrenees or Andorra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:57 am, February 24, 2012