We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

We are staying in Madrid for 6 days in April, and are thinking of a day trip to Segovia (Party of 4).

Our hotel in Madrid is near Atocha station. Will it be best to go by train, or is the bus a better option?

Is either Segovia railway station or bus station near to the city centre?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Maribel recommends bus which leaves from near Hotel Florida Norte (Metro: Principe Pio) Also this gets you closer to the city center with a 10-minute walk.

Train leaves from Chamartin station and requieres you to take taxi or bus to the city center with a 20 minute walk.

For MANY more details including bus schedules, check:

http://maribelsguides.com on page 8, Segovia section

Please share your adventure with us.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Wow! Quick reply, thanks a lot.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

I've checked the Sepulvedana bus web site and the first bus from Madrid is 12-15pm, and last return bus from Segovia 3-00pm, so not much good for a day trip. Looks like it's going to have to be the train.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

I couldn't believe what you just wrote... also that Maribel may have errored so I went to the La Sepulvedana website which is: http://www.lasepulvedana.es

Very flashy but I stayed with "castellano" because I thought that might be fastest with fewer glitches.

This is your error, I believe. You clicked on MADRID instead of MADRID FLORIDA. That is in front of the Hotel Florida Norte as mentioned by Maribel. The first bus from that stop leaves at 6:30 a.m. It's still dark out! So you definitely would have a full day in Segovia.

I also checked return to MADRID FLORIDA and I think the last bus leaves Segovia at 21:00 or 9:00 pm.

That said, I would prefer the trip by train, just because I prefer the train, not because there are train schedules to accomodate. However, either place is a hike from your hotel in Atocha.

To get to Principe Pio (stop near Hotel Florida Norte), you can take Metro from Atocha Renfe to Tribunal and then transfer to Principe Pio. From Atocha to Charmartin, the Metro is down from Plaza de Castilla to Charmartin until June 30, 2006. Or a taxi eliminates all of this, but the ride would be shortest to the bus stop.

Well, buen viaje and tell you about the trip by train...or bus.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Hi! Yep, just returned from my Iberian trip! I went to Segovia from Madrid by train -- which was really a mistake! It took longer!!

Good thing I met 2 Segovians when I was about to go to the train station. They informed me that I can take the bus back to Madrid instead. It departs every 30 mins from Segovia. The trip took like a bit more than an hour to the Principe Pio station. Yes, it's La Sepulvedana. Ticket costs about 6 euros one way.

Enjoy Segovia! The place is amazing!!

BUT BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU GO TO THE ALCAZAR! THERE ARE SCARF-SELLING LADIES AT THE GATE! DON'T MIND THEM!! TRUST ME!!!

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Holakjs - You are so right - I did choose the wrong Madrid departure, we can now take an early bus (me now Happy Bunny!!) Greatly appreciate the info.

Michim30 - Thanks for the warning about scarf seller. As Spanish residents we are fully aware of the carnation selling gypsies here on the coast and also the "herb sellers" in Cordoba. I hope we are worldly wise but it's great to be forewarned.

Sydney
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

How long is a bus trip to Segovia? Would it be OK to just have a day trip from Madrid and back on the same day? I wouldn't mind staying over but are there many hostels there? Thanks!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Bus ride is one hour 15 minutes flat. You can easily do in a day.

Read Maribel's Guides. Go to: www.maribelsguides.com and click on "Madrid" Segovia trip info is one page 18. Maribel is a travel pro who doesn't charge for her website, and you don't need to register. Lots of good info. Maybe a little overwhelming but very complete and up-to-date.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Hi Travelfreak,

We did the Segovia trip last April by bus from Madrid.

One day is plenty of time to see the main sights, it's a great day out.

madrid
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid to Segovia, Bus or Train?

Don't forget the AVE train,which is the fastest train in Madrid runs from Atocha train station to Segovia,it's only 8 euros and very fast. No need for the bus anymore.Commences in January 08