We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Bristol
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

Hi

My wife and I are visiting central and northern Spain for 2 weeks in July an would like some advice on our itinerary. We are in our 50's but are very active. We like to see cities but do not want a long time in one. We enjoy outdoor life and enjoy walking, cycling and horse riding. We are also foodies and wine lovers and want to experience and taste the real Spain. We came up with this holiday after watching Rick Stein travelling around Spain and want visit some of the places he went to. We have a rough itinerary, but would welcome any suggestions. Our plan is:-

Madrid for 2 nights ( holiday inn Madrid).

Toledo for 2 nights ( Hilton Buenavista).

Salamanca ( not sure how long/ where to stay, is it much different from Madrid and Toledo?).

Oviedo( not sure how long/ where to stay.

San Sebastián( not sure how long/ wher to stay

Back to Madrid for flight home

Woul be very grateful for any advice on places to visit along our route, places to stay and for how long, and things to see and do.

Thanks

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Holiday Inn Madrid
Holiday Inn Madrid
874 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Oviedo
Oviedo
Asturias, Spain
Salamanca,Casco Historico
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Ieronimus
Churches & Cathedrals
Plaza Mayor
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,243 posts
3,764 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

Terry:

I would stay 2 days in Salamanca. There is much to see and is completely different from Madrid and Toledo.

Read about the day trip to La Alberca in the top questions.

Mentioned in this post
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Toledo
Toledo
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

I would stay in San Sebastián for several days if you can. At the end of a ten-week immersion program in Madrid, my parents (culture cravers in their 50s) flew from WV and together we trained to San Sebastián where we enjoyed four days before visiting Lisbon, Toledo, and returning to Madrid for three days before all returning to the US.

San Sebastián was the favorite for each of us. It is authentic- we noticed few tourists. It really seems to be 'where Spaniards vacation' the playa de las conchas is fantastic, as is walking throughout Old Town which is limited to pedestrians and cyclists. Tapas bar near Santa Ana cathedral is cheap and good quality (beaucoup tasty Pinxtos and fun atmosphere)- we returned twice! We stayed at Pension Amaiur which is in the same 500yrs' old edifice as the Cathedral. Very safe, clean, and convenient. It's in the heart of Old Town and steps from the bay and cathedrals. Virginia the hostess is fantastic and quite helpful.

Toledo is only a 30min scenic train ride from Madrid and you can purchase tickets at Atocha station day of. Truly the city of three religions/cultures. Exquisite architecture. Tip: when you get to Toledo don't take the city bus from the train station up to town. Instead catch a taxi- 2.50 euros per person is the same price for each option yet the bus doesn't leave until it is filled.

Segovia is good, but if I had to choose which place to spend more time visiting, Toledo would take the cake.

A friend from Oviedo, FL, and I economically traveled via buses and hostels to Oviedo, Santander, and Santiago one long weekend in June and enjoyed the cider, boardwalk/sea, and cooler climate characteristic of the Northwestern coast. "Ziplining" in Santander was fun yet different from that among the mountains in West Virginia.

In Madrid a few eateries off the beaten path (yet 5mins' walk from Sol) stand out: El Tigre unlimited tapas and tinto/mahou for 5 euros (lunch) or 6 (dinner), chocolateria San gines (i never saw many tourists there although some reviews warn of that), and Malaspina on c/ Cadiz.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 11:04 am, March 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Toledo
Toledo
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Oviedo
Oviedo
Asturias, Spain
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
El Tigre
El Tigre
2,446 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
3. Re: Itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 12, 2014