We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Hello,

I'm planning on visiting Salamanca, Spain for 3 months to study Spanish. I'm wondering if anyone has taken classes at the Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca. If so, what was your experience like? How were the classes and teachers? Would you recommend the school to others?

The school is much cheaper than bigger schools like Don Quijote. However, apart from the school's own website, I've been unable to uncover any reviews or statements about the school online. Any feedback you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!

NY
Destination Expert
for Salamanca
Level Contributor
514 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

I've been spending part of every year in Salamanca for over 20 years. I've never heard of them. Are they new? Good for you for doing your research!

Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

If I remember correctly, according to their website they've been around since 1991. They describe themself as being a smaller school (around 60-70 students or so) that is able to offer cheaper prices because they don't advertise extensively.

I've thought about enrolling there, but I have no idea what the quality of their program is like so I'm a little hesitant to sign up.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

I have the same question as dyabolycalgenius. Came across Tia Tula somewhere, but haven't been able to find any reviews either. Input from anyone would be appreciated.

http://www.tiatula.com/

Thanks

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Came across this blog. They give Tia Tula a good review.

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/…

Fairfax, Virginia
1 post
5. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

I have been researching Cuernavaca. I am thinking about going there for a few months starting in November 2010. It is the low season and each school has aprx. 2 students. I am now looking at spain. Have you found anything out about this school or any others you can recommend? When do you plan on going?

Salamanca, Spain
1 post
6. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Hey I was just wondering if you guys were still searching for Spanish schools in Salamanca. I am actually studying at Tia Tula right now and it's great, especially for the price. I have studied at 3 different language schools in Spain and I definitely like Tia Tula the best. The faculty seems to care a little more here and they have really good professors. If anybody has any questions about the school let me know. I am 24 years old and I'm from Pennsylvania, USA.

New York City, New...
2 posts
7. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Americantraveler, you mentioned that you were studying at Tia Tula. I am 18 and I was hoping to study there for 4 months starting in August. I was wondering if you could tell me what the general age group of students tends be.

New York City, New...
2 posts
8. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Americantraveler, you mentioned that you were studying at Tia Tula. I am 18 and I was hoping to study there for 4 months starting in August. I was wondering if you could tell me what the general age group of students tends be.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
9. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

AmericanTraveler,

Can you tell us a little more about your experience there? Eg, what do you do after class end? Also how's the housing provided by Tia Tula like? I'm planning to study Spanish in Spain for 4 weeks in May, and am deciding between Seville or Salamanca, so any tips on the school would be appreciated.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
10. Re: Tia Tula Spanish Language School in Salamanca

Hey Pachara_Pinn,

I too studied at Tia Tula recently. I will try to answer your questions as best I can:

You asked about what we would do after class. Sometimes many of us would check out the events happening in Salamanca, concerts, restaurants, etc. Tia Tula consistently presents a weekly schedule of activities to each student, making announcements about activities and encouraging many people to participate. Some examples: cooking classes, celebration of Chinese new year, Spanish film presentations, tours around Salamanca, group outings to go have tapas or have chocolate con churros (you have to try the chocolate con churros if you go). There are many things we students did after class.

Housing: I went with the apartment option, so I can only speak on that. You get the chance to live right in the midst of everything, as if you lived in Salamanca indefinitely. Meaning, the apartment isn't really in a 'student dorm'. Your neighbors are everyday 'Salmantinos' as well as some students. I enjoyed this. It's literally as if you rented the apartment yourself, regarding roomates, and cleaning, and privacy, and neighbors, etc. If you want provided meals, go with the homestay option. But with the apt option, you figure out all of your meals, which I didn't mind because it gave me control of how much I spent per day. The housing experience felt authentic.

Other things: the teaching was great, learned more there in one month than I did in 4 months back in the USA; also the staff is very friendly and organized. Overall I recommend Tia Tula. If I had to choose one word for TT it would be 'intimate'. And learning-wise, I really liked how, in my clasess, they separated grammar and conversation. 2 hours grammar. 2 hours conversation. To have that back to back (and separate) was essential to me. Some schools just offer 4 hours of straight study.

Hope this helps you a bit. And I hope you enjoy your time in Spain, Tia Tula or not.