We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Barajas to Salamanca

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
From Barajas to Salamanca

My flight to Barajas gets in early in the morning, and the first bus available on Avanzabus is at 13:00.

Does anyone know of any other convenient (for a tired overseas traveller) ways to get to Salamanca from the airport?

Mentioned in this post
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Barajas to Salamanca

Trains are plentiful and faster than the bus!

You can check the schedules and book your ticket at renfe.es or trainline.eu

Bear in mind that 'Media Distancia' (MD) trains always have the same fare (24,10€ from Madrid to Salamanca), but are considerably slower than Alvia trains, whose better deals are best booked in advance.

Trains to Salamanca depart from Madrid-Chamartín station. There's a frequent commuter train service (Cercanías) between Barajas airport and Chamartín, the station is located at Terminal 4 ('Aeropuerto T4). The journey takes 15'. www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/ The ticket for the Cercanías train costs about 2-3€. (However, if you have already purchased your long-distance ticket to Salamanca, you are entitled to ride it for free, look for the 'Combinado-Cercanías' code printed on your ticket.)

It may seem scary but changing trains at Chamartín is not particularly annoying.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Salamanca
Salamanca
Barajas Airport
Barajas Airport
Madrid, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
67,156 posts
3,764 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Barajas to Salamanca

For trains:

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18749…

NY
Destination Expert
for Salamanca
Level Contributor
494 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Barajas to Salamanca

Yeah, the 1pm bus can be annoying. That is why I always leave the US on a Sunday to arrive on a Monday morning, then there is a 9am, 11am and 1pm bus. So even if there is a delay, we can get something relatively soon. You didn't mention what time you arrive, but if you are a tired overseas traveler, do you want to navigate the train/subway to go downtown Madrid and switch to the train to Salamanca .... all the while looking out for pickpockets? (some are good at this and don't care...) Or sit in an airport cafe, have some tortilla and a caña while the direct bus will be there soon? I have done both. Maybe i'm getting old??? but at this point we prefer to just relax and wait for the bus (with leather seats and wifi) instead of the crowded train hassle. To each his own I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Salamanca
Salamanca
Reply to: From Barajas to Salamanca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted