We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

I've seen a few posts similar to this, but they don't seem to resolve my particular question. I'll be visiting Spain this Spring for the first time, and was hoping to go on some wine tours. the first few days I'll be staying in Madrid, and was hoping for a day trip to the Ribera del Duero region. i've done my research and uncovered numerous outfits that do this. however, i've been quoted prices as high as €430 per person, making a day trip for two, just one and a half hours north of Madrid ,as expensive as round trip airfare from the US. i have to admit i did not expect this.

other options are to drive, bus or train to the region, and try to figure out a tour or two, and how to get there. or to stay at a bodega hotel, but again, i'd have to figure out how to get there, and that seems kind of limiting.

so, i guess my question is... what's the best way to tour bodegas in the Ribera region...? preferably without costing as much as trans-Atlantic airfare. are there guided tours that originate in the region with a more reasonable (to me) price point...?

or just give up on Ribera and tour Madrid wineries... the price quotes there are about 1/4 as much.

Ganda Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Castellum Free Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Sepulveda Viva
Sightseeing Tours
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

mnrich:

You can rent a car. However you need reservations at the wineries you want to see.

Haro is a town with a population of about 12,000, about 44 km from Logroño. Its main industry is the production of wines, and there are many bodegas in the town, which attract tourists. It calls itself the capital of La Rioja. The Ebro River and the Tiron River are adjacent to the town. There are records that show its existence in Roman times. Diego Lopez de Haro and his family have ruled the town since 1093. The town installed electric street lights in 1891, being the first town in Spain to have these. Jerez de la Frontera, also a center of wine production, was also the other first town to have the electric street lights. The land contains plenty of limestone, and the good climate has allowed the production of quality wine. The landscape shows rolling hills dotted with vineyards. Haro has been noted to have produced wine since the 14th century. On June 29 there is the celebration of the feast day of San Pedro and the Battle of Wine takes place on a hill near Haro called Riscos de Bilibio. Thousands of tourists come to the town for this event, which has been declared as of National Touristic Interest by the government.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

Arrrrrr a question on wine, a speciality of mine as I live in a Spanish wine region!

The above poster is a little off kilt with his information. La Rioja is further away from Madrid then Ribera del Duero. Thus making tours and days trips just that little bit harder.

First off here is a website giving a great deal of detail of this particular wine region.

rutadelvinoriberadelduero.es/ingles/inicio.h…

Personally I would choose to hire a car and take some time to visit the Bodegas (wineries) and maybe some historical sites and/or countryside too.

If you do not want to drink and drive then there are always local tours being organised. Getting to a bodega using public transport is going to be very hard, maybe impossible.

There are lesser known wine regions near to Madrid. Maybe that is an alternative?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

Sorry I should have added that the region perhaps deserves more than a day trip. Hence my suggestion of hiring a day and visiting other things that the wine industry.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

thanks for the replies! it's true i am learning towards Ribera Del Duero, which is close enough to Madrid to work as a day trip. while i agree that the region definitely deserves more than a single day, it is also true that it's my first trip to Spain, i don't have infinite time (or money), and there are already places i'd love to visit that i won't even get to see for a day. so, i will be content with a day trip this round. :)

i've done some additional research, and i think i've found a promising option. i'll post the details here for future travelers once the details are settled, and i'm reasonably sure it will work. thanks again...

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

Thanks for letting us know.

I am personally of the opinion that when a vacationer rushes around to lots of locations they think they will see a lot. But at the end of their vacation they realise perhaps they did not.

It would be good to read about your experiences your visit the the area.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

you can drive to Aranda del Duero (less than 2h), capital of the Ribera del Duero wine region. If you check for bodegas in there, there are lots offering visits that you can prebook.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

thanks again, everyone. and yes, i agree. i have already shaved two destinations off the itinerary to relax the pace a bit. perhaps i will see those another time, perhaps not. at the moment, i have two days reserved for the Castile and Leon region: one full day for Segovia and perhaps Avila as well, and one full day for the Aranda Del Duero region, with a very early start, visiting several bodegas as well as a number of cultural sites, and returning late to Madrid. i think i will see about as much as it's possible to see in a single day, and although i would love to have another day or two in the region, i do want to visit Andalucia as well, and i don't think i'll have any regrets about the arrangement in the larger context of the trip. thanks again, and i'll post details later, as well as a full report and photos after the trip.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

Very early?

Plan that well or you could find things shut. A quick glance showed me some bodegas open around 10.00 some as late as 11.00, then close for lunch and reopen afterwards until late in the day. The same could be found for some sights too.

Spain works on a totally different time schedule.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

as you may already know, Andalusia has also several wine regions, producing "special wines". Jerez or Sanlucar de Barrameda are two places where you can also visit bodegas.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Tours in Ribera del Duero

yes, thanks... and yes, wine touring in Jerez was actually a primary point of the trip. i'm an avid single malt scotch enthusiast (went to Scotland last year and in 2009), and as you may know, a great many single malts are aged in ex-sherry casks, so i want to deepen my understanding of the process and the wines. to be honest, Ribera is almost (but not really) an afterthought. (sorry, Ribera!) seriously, though, i knew i wanted to visit more than one region, and Ribera seemed like an excellent second option. but Andalicua / Jerez was always the primary draw.