We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toledo - my favorite Spanish City

NW USA
Level Contributor
317 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Toledo - my favorite Spanish City

One of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. Maybe tha fact it's on a big hill adds to the beauty?

I stayed at the Carlos V Hotel; a bit posher than my usual choices, but relatively inexpensive. Great breakfast included. Very kind and helpful staff. A beautiful room with a little balcony with a view of the cathedral and the many spires and ancient rooftops of Toledo. One morning I woke up to snow here, extremely memorable sight.

I had my favorite meal of my trip here (aside from Burger King!) upon the desk staffs' reccomendation on arrival. I think it was called El Escrito? Salmon, asparagus pudding, lovely red wine and ice cream, some 15 euros. Charming older gentleman as host.

I spent my 2 days here seeing the usual sights and El Greco art. Lots of walking about: looking on the map to see where I was, and where I wanted to go, aiming my compass and just walking in the general direction. You can easily walk clear across the historical center in an hour or less, so very manageable. Just drop dead gorgeous city. Friendly people. I so wanted to buy some Laslo ceramics but already have too much stuff. Or a damascene (?sp) box. That marzepam is to die for, too!

Two days barely scratched the itch, in retrospect I would have taken one of my 4 days in Sevilla and spent 3 days in Toledo.

Taipei, Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toledo - my favorite Spanish City

Thanks for sharing, tumbleweed. I've been enjoying your roving reports.

We'll be staying at the Carlos V this summer too. Glad to know you loved Toledo, the art and the mazapan.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toledo - my favorite Spanish City

tumbling:

Yes, I have been to Toledo several times and always enjoyed the city. Every place is walkable.

Lara, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toledo - my favorite Spanish City

Thanks for this lovely report tumblingweed. We are also spending two days in Toledo coming up in late May. I am glad to read that you did not struggle to fill in two days and perhaps would have liked to stay longer, I have been worried we will be staying in Toledo too long, but we do love small places full of history and enjoy getting lost in winding streets, which by the sound of your report will be easy to do.

I look forward to reading some of your other reports :-)

4. Re: Toledo - my favorite Spanish City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, June 19, 2013