We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great historical tour and guide

Which Toledo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
616 posts
448 reviews
Save Topic
Great historical tour and guide

We recently returned from Toledo during our trip to Spain. We had only one day to visit the city and wanted a guide to assist us, rather than having to be looking at a guide book the entire time. It took a while but I finally found the website http:www.guiasdetoledos.es

I finally selected the fabulous Elena Perez (MEPRUIZ@telefonica.net) She has a university degree in tourism and is a Toledo native. She was not only charming and knowledgeable but provided a comprehensive tour based on our email requirements. She met us at the train station and we immediately took a taxi ride around the city and for the fabulous panoramic views. We then walked throughout the city visiting the major sites. One of our favorite parts was the art history lesson from Elena while we viewed El Greco's most famous painting, The Burial of Count Orgaz in Santo Tolemo.

Toledo was one of our favorite places in Spain and our time there was enhanced due to Elena.

Montville, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Great historical tour and guide

We just completed an excellent tour of Toleda, guided by Elena Perez, mepruiz@telefonica.net. Elena, a native of Toledo, was very knowledgeable, personable and spoke English fluently. We highly recommend her.

ponte vedra
Level Contributor
340 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Great historical tour and guide

We are a family of four heading to Madrid for Spring Break.

Would like to go a day trip to Toledo and will be contacting Elena. Did you do a half day of full day tour (how many hours).

We will take train to Toledo. With the two children I am thinking 3 to 4 hours, then food , then wander a bit on our own then back to Madrid.

I will ask Elena to offer suggestions. Are there any "I wish I had done that" places we should ask her to include.

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
616 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Great historical tour and guide

We took an early train from Madrid (30 minute trip) and Elena met us at the station. We then took a taxi and she showed us the city from several vantage points (fabulous introduction) before we began our walking tour. Our tour was about 3 hours and was very comprehensive. There were specific places we inquired about and Elena gave us even more. Her description of the El Greco masterpiece was fantastic. At the conclusion of the tour she walked us through the tourist area and told us about each individual store if we were interested in purchasing gifts. We walked around for perhaps another hour and took the late afternoon train back to Madrid. Hope this helps.

ponte vedra
Level Contributor
340 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Great historical tour and guide

very helpful indeed. I am not having luck with renfe website. THe 920 and 1020 trains are not yet available for the whole week that we are in Madird.

Itried Petrobax but also no luck.

Did you take the 750am train? And did you purchase ahead?

I have emailed Elena. She sounds fabulous, as many have said.

Thank you very much

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
616 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Great historical tour and guide

I went back through my travel notes and we arrived in Toledo at 9:50 am. Elena suggested that time so I would wait until you are in contact with her. It appears that I purchased the tickets online one month before. I recall renfe can be a bit temperamental but eventually it worked. Good luck!

ponte vedra
Level Contributor
340 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Great historical tour and guide

gracias!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
138 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Great historical tour and guide

we had elena as a private tour guide a week and 1/2 ago as well after getting her name off of this forum so thanks for that. she met us in our hotel. the. timing of visiting sites was impeccable as several had really long lines to enter as we were leaving them. she was very knowledgeable and we spent a fun three hours with her in toledo. she responds to email requests very quickly-setting up our private tour with her was very easy and worth it.

Fernandina Beach, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Great historical tour and guide

We booked Elena a couple of months in advance for our tour of Toledo.  She was very good about communicating with us and planning our itinerary.  When touring, we are all about art and history.  Shopping is a waste of our time.  Elena locked on to that early in our preparations and it reflected in the tour.  We started with a quick cab ride half way around the city from the train station.  That really helped to get us oriented to the topography and the major buildings.  Then we started the walking tour inside the walled city.  We walked from the Jewish Quarter to the Moorish quarter to the Christian section.  This worked out well, keeping us away from the big tour groups (this was a private tour for my wife and I).  For most of the sites in Toledo there is a nominal entry fee which we agree to pay as part of the overall tour price.  The crown jewel of Toledo is the cathedral. This is where Elena was especially valuable.  There are many small details of this huge cathedral that would have just blown by us had they not been drawn to our attention.  My wife and I had taken the Great Courses "The Other 1492" before this trip and it helped immensely to put in perspective much of the historical information that Elena provided.  I would not recommend doing a day trip to Toledo without a guide and Elena did a great job.  Allow at least 7 hours for this tour (about 3.5 with Elena and 3.5 on our own).  Most of the independent time was spent at lunch and back at the cathedral revisiting things already pointed out and ferreting out a few more items of interest and taking pictures.  This is a don't miss attraction if you have time for a day trip from Madrid.

19. Re: Great historical tour and guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 06, 2015