We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVE Train to Toledo?

Which Toledo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
m3
DC
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
AVE Train to Toledo?

Does anyone know if the AVE train station is up and running in Toledo? From what I understand it was due to be completed in mid-2005.

When I try to purchase tickets on-line from Madrid to Toledo in early October, it is reported that all tickets are sold out. Yet on the same day it's possible to buy tickets from Madrid to Cordoba (and it seems that you could just get off the train at Toledo with such a ticket).

If the AVE is not yet available from Madrid to Toledo, it seems I would need to back track to Madrid before heading to Seville (either via bus or taxi).

Thanks!

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

I'm curious...does anyone know the name of the Toldeo train station that the AVE train from Madrid arrives in?

Maribel's guide said there was a new one under construction for the AVE. I was curious if Bus #6, #8, or #9 would be available from that station to the city center or if there was another one?

I follwed her link to the local bus schedule but could only find the Madrid/Toledo schedule, not anything within Toledo itself?

All the help would be appreciated, thanks! Tanja

Madrid
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

hi....

i just went to toledo on the ave last week and as far as i could tell it was the exact same train station as when i went 3 years ago on the non-ave.

the bus stop is to the right after you exit the front door. all the routes for all the buses are listed on on the bus stop, just look for one that passes for plaza zocodover. they were 5, 6, 7....and maybe 10...but i am not sure now. it costs 80 cents, and you should pay with a euro as it is a pain for the bus driver to make change. it should be easy peasy as all the other tourists will be getting on the same bus.

have fun

candy lee in madrid

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Thanks Candy Lee, that IS most helpful!!! I just can't wait!!! Any good eating tips for while in Toledo??!!

Tanja

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

You have to eat at La Abadia. Its a great very atmospheric restaurant and popular with locals and visitors alike. Address; Nunez de Arce, 3,

Make reservations if possible otherwise if you go on a weekend you may be out of luck!. Phone is 925 25 11 40

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

thanks Limoncilla, will do!! Is it central from the main Plaza to walk there or a TAxi ride? Tanja

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

La Abadia is really close to the main square called the "Zocodover" which you will definately pass through. Leaving the Mc Donalds on your left go towards the center then you have to go right on one of the streets but I dont remember the name. But you can ask directions in any shop and they should be able to point you in the right direction!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Actually you can see a sort of unhelpful map at www.mappy,com by typing in the address...but without a frame of reference its a bit meaningless...There is also a tourist info center in the Zocodover and they can give you a map too. Enjoy!

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Thanks for the details, should be easy enough to fnd...I'll let you know!!

p.s. have made oath NOT to go to any American chain restaurants outside of US!! Heck, sometimes, even here!

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
10 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

m3

My brother and I took the AVE to Toledo on Monday, January 23, 2006 (el Dia de San Idlefonso). The trip (ride) was super smooth and it took us 20-25 minutes. We bought our tickets about 90 minutes before departure. I believe the cost was $8 (EU) one way and $12 (EU) round trip. My brother can communicate his thoughts (on a beginner/intermediate level) in Spanish, I am fluent with the language. Just before we stepped up to the ticket counter, my brother informed me that he wanted to try to purchase the tickets "en español." I told the RENFE (the Spanish Railroad) employee, "Mi hermano desea practicar su castellano," and with a nod and a smile the employee proceeded to allow my brother to purchase the tickets. We took the 11:22 AM train. I had been to Toledo four times previously to this.

If you plan on being there for a day, I would advise an earlier departure. There is a daily ABE that leaves as early as 9:20 AM, although there are earlier AVES, but they usually operate on M, Tu, Th & F.

Toledo is a wonderful place to visit!

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

That was brave to let your brother order the tickets in begiining Spanish! With my luck, we would end up in some forgotten little town and not Toledo!!

We're loooking forward to seeing it and will be going early in the morning and hopefully making a full long day of it!

Thanks!!