We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVE Train to Toledo?

m3
DC
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
AVE Train to Toledo?

Does anyone know if the AVE train station is up and running in Toledo? From what I understand it was due to be completed in mid-2005.

When I try to purchase tickets on-line from Madrid to Toledo in early October, it is reported that all tickets are sold out. Yet on the same day it's possible to buy tickets from Madrid to Cordoba (and it seems that you could just get off the train at Toledo with such a ticket).

If the AVE is not yet available from Madrid to Toledo, it seems I would need to back track to Madrid before heading to Seville (either via bus or taxi).

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

They're still working on AVE station in Toledo, which means that the Madrid-Toledo train does not reach the city of Toledo right now.

You can see the current AVE routes here: http://www.renfe.es/ave/

It would seem that the bus is a good option right now.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Hello m3,

It will be much better to spend the day in Toledo and return to Madrid afterwards.

PRIVATE BUS COMPANY... Galiano- Continental Tel. 91-527-29-61 y 925-22-36-41

45 minute direct route bus ride. Time schedule is between 7:00am and 10pm every 30 minutes.

Please take Robert´s advise and use the renfe/AVE link to get from Madrid to Cordoba.

Have fun!

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Those interested in AVE plans might find the site www.railway-technology.com/projects/spain/ interesting.

4. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:34 pm, April 27, 2010
new york
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

M3,

I completely agree with rufo4506. Its very easy to take the bus into Toledo by bus. In fact, the guide books I've read recommend the bus over the train for this short distance trip.

If you're going longer distances like to Seville, the AVE is best. We did take the AVE to Seville and it was easy too.

Here's great book if you need more info:

Rick Steve's Spain! It helped us plan our entire trip this past summer.

Have a great trip and happy planning!

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Had been planning to take the train to Toledo until reading these posts - I have a question: Where would I catch the bus? Is there a direct departure from the airport?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Hi everyone.

My personal choice when going to Toledo is taking the bus. Its a bit faster, cheaper ( I think) and leaves you closer to the center of the city once you arrive. ( You can walk UPHILL to the center from there, or take a bus , line 8 I think, or even a short taxi ride)

Bus leaves from the Estacion Sur bus station at Mendez Alvaro metro stop in Madrid. Buy your tickets at the counter marked Toledo.

As far as train tickets. Its possible to get them the same day for Toledo. It woudl be strange for them to sell out I think.

I didnt realize they were making an AVE stop there. How long would it take to get there from Madrid...15 minutes probably!

boston
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

take the continental bus from madrid (estacion sur) to toledo... 4.12 euro for the one way ride, not bad at all. make sure you get a direct bus!!!! direct = 45 minutes, indirect = hr and 45 minutes

the walk up the hills aren't that bad, depending on age and luggage you're carrying. it's a workout, but easily doable.

if you don't want to walk, plenty of busses run by there. i'd like to say the 6 (definitely) and the 8, 9 (neither of which run too frequently) at a cost of 0.85 euro. just make sure the bus is going to zocodover.

Toledo is a beautiful city and has been preserved very nicely. i highly recommend going for more than a day on this one

NYC, NY
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

The AVE is up and running. Just got back from Toledo yesterday.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVE Train to Toledo?

Congratulations, Limoncilla on your Expert title. You always post interesting and honest opinions.

Heynyc61, could you post a little more information abouto your trip? You definitely had a late breaking experience that more will want to hear about.