We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are going to Spain in September 2014.

Which Santander hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Topic
We are going to Spain in September 2014.

We are a couple from California, wanting to go to Santander, Santiago de Compostela and Barcelona. Santander 4 nights, Santiago, 2 nights, and Barcelona 4 nights.

We are thinking of landing in Barcelona, and using a bus, or rent-a-car to get to Santander. Spend some days there and go to Santiago de Compostela, by train. From Santiago, we would like to go to Barcelona straight.

Is this a good plan? We spent 2 months in Spain 40 years ago, and want to visit it again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,260 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

Take into account days transferring between destinations and accommodation

Trains Barcelona - Santander - Santiago - Barcelona www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros.index.html

Flights Barcelona - Santander and Santiago - Barcelona www.vueling.com

Car rental www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Spain

www.spain.info

Accommodation www.venere.com

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

Thank you very much for your response. My husband got an international driver's license 2 years ago to drive in Japan. hope it is still good.

I will check all the links you posted.

Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

May:

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

Take into account there is no train between Santander and Santiago! There is the very slow FEVE train which goes as far as El Ferrol, but the easiest way to do this journey is by ALSA bus www.alsa.es. This is the same bus company that will take you from Barcelona to Santander. I have done the BCN to San bus many years ago, and I can tell you it is long! In fact those are both two long journeys. You might want to consider flying BCN to Santander, either with Vueling or Ryanair (be careful of Ryanair's hidden costs). You have no option but to bus or drive to Santiago, and personally, if you're willing to drive one long section, I'd drive Santander-Santiago, as there are many beautiful places along the way, both along the coast and the mountains inland, if you've got time that is! Most of that route is quick motorway. I'd definitely drive that section rather than the BCN - Santander out of choice, the other has relatively boring motorway (some of which is toll motorway too). If you want any more info about your stay in Santander, let me know, and maybe check out the travel section of my Cantabria blog which has more info on getting to and from, and around the region by car or public transport. www.ratoncantabria.wordpress.com

London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

I agree with the info that Raton Cantabria has given. I would also look up small rural hotels for Santander or Santiago. You can find some really nice accommodation. Try Googling 'casas rurales' or 'hotels rurales'.

I was recently in Barcelona and stayed in the Hotel Pulitzer. It was clean, comfortable and had pleasant staff. It couldn't have been more central, about 50m from the Plaza Catalunya. It cost about 100Euros per night for two and included an adequate breakfast.

Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

This may not exactly fit your plans but La Fiesta de La Virgen de San Lorenzo takes place in the city of Valladolid from Friday 5th September 2014 for ten days and being between Santiago and Barcelona would make an excellent additional stopover during your trip.

7. Re: We are going to Spain in September 2014.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 31, 2015