We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plans for a week-end in Santander and Bilbao

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
plans for a week-end in Santander and Bilbao

My huband, our daughter (13 years old) and I are going to visit Santander and Bilbao during a week-end. Our plans are more or less the following:

Our flight will arrive around 9 PM on Friday, we'll take a bus to the city and reach our hotel. We made a reservation at Hotel Chiqui which is quite far from the centre (Avd. García Lago, 9 - El Sardinero).

Is it safe to walk around the bus station at night?

Is it safe to take a bus to the hotel around 10 PM?

Is the bus line no. 15 correct to Hotel Chiqui?

Otherwise how much would a taxi cost from the bust station to the hotel Chiqui?

On Saturday morning we may either visit Santander or travel to Bilbao by bus. Do you think it makes difference if we visit Santander on Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon?

If we visit Santander on Sunday afternoon, do you know whether there is a baggage deposit at the bus station?

Thanks for what you will be able to help us with.

London
Level Contributor
123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plans for a week-end in Santander and Bilbao

Very save to walk around the bus station at 10 pm. Santander is not a 'dodgy town', quite safe in deed.

I would suggest you stay in Santander on Saturday morning since the town will be alive (everything closed on Sunday and people watching the football at home). Since you are stay at Hotel Chiqui, walk along the beach all the way to the Palacio de la Magdalena. It is a beautiful walk and would take you about 30 minutes. Once you are there, catch a bus to the center (virtually all the buses which stop there go to the center) and get off at Puertochico (this is the marina where all the sports yatchs are, you will see it from the window and will take you about 5-10 by bus from the Palace. Walk along the pier, look at the beautiful sea front buildings (stop for an ice cream at Regma!) and hit the townhall. Just behind the townhall, there is a market. If you like markets, this is definetely a must, The fish market is very impressive, one of the best in Europe. Enjoy the lively center but remember it will be deserted by around 2 pm. You can then go to the bus station, which is 5 min walk from the townhall and go to Bilbao, although I do not know why you are travelling to Bilbao with so many interested places to in Cantabria...I guess I am being biased.

Yes, there is baggage deposit at the bus station, in it is the lower ground floor.

A taxi to Hotl Chiqui would be less than 10 euros and sorry, not sure about the bus that takes you there, but everybody in town knows Hotel Chiqui and should be able to direct you.

If you decide not to go to Bilbao, just let me know and I could make suggestions about placces to visit in cantabria.

Enjoy your trip.

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plans for a week-end in Santander and Bilbao

Quijanotango, thank you very much for your answers!

Your suggestions will be very helpful indeed.

Also thanks for offering more help about Cantabria.

I am sorry to say that Santander is an occasional destination. Our main one is Bilbao and, booking the flights, we discovered we would have landed in Santander. That's why we started to search about it and to get curious and decided to spend some time there.

I am sure there is much more to see and do and learn in your area, but we'll have to plan another trip for that!

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: plans for a week-end in Santander and Bilbao

I read this piece of news, but it is dated november 2007!!

"Now you can take a free ride by Santander in bicycle. Simply presenting the DNI or the passport they lend one cycle to you by three or four hours. You can take them in the Jardines de Pereda (next to the wharf of ferry), in the Magdalena and in the Sardinero, next to the hotel Río and later on you leave them indifferently in anyone of these sites"

Are bicycles still available?

I have also read about the "Tarjeta estandar recargable" (6 euros), instead of the single bus tickets. Do you think we can buy only one card for the three of us or should we buy 3 cards? I haven't well figured out the cheapest option to travel by bus.

Thanks for your help, again!

4. Re: plans for a week-end in Santander and Bilbao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 25, 2010