We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Picos

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Picos

Hello

I am trying to decide between about four or five places in the Picos, all in the same rough, Liebana region. They all get nice reviews, but are at different price points. The big issue is whether to stay in Potes town or out of of it for some quiet, views and pools. The out of town hotels end up being just about double the in town options because of high breakfast costs, they charge for the kid, etc. But is that worthwhile?

We're travelling with our six year old son. I'm looking at Casa Cayo, apartments at Villa de Potes, Posada el bosque, hotel de oso and hotel jisu.

And finally, any opinions on whether to stay four nights in Picos and three nights on coast, or vice-versa? Thank you!

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Picos

Firstly, with regard to the coast or mountains for longer, I would say it depends on 2 things. Firstly, whether you're walkers, in which case stay longer in Potes, and secondly, whether you're looking for a place with a pool, in which case stay longer in Potes. Otherwise, stay longer on the coast, as Potes is very isolated and you'll get more out of a coastal stay, especially with a 6 year old, it's much easier to get to anywhere and everywhere, whereas Potes you're really stuck in the town and the surrounding mountains, it'll take you at least an hour to get to anywhere else of interest.

As for staying in or around, Casa Cayo is right in the centre, overlooking the an old street or the river, you can't get more central, nice food and breakfasts, but could be (relatively) noisier in summer. Hotel del Oso is a large hotel with pool on the main road on the way up to Fuente De, very popular, likely to be some coach parties, nice but not cheap restaurant, and beautiful terraces, it has a good rep, and is a favourite of many I know. Quite far from Potes though, again, relatively, about 15 minutes drive, longer in summer if you get stuck in the Fuente De cable car traffic.

I don't know the others, sorry! Check out the reviews I guess. As to whether to stay in the centre or in a village, it depends how much you want to be dependant on your car, Potes is great for going out to eat with no hassle, in a village you will probably end up driving into Potes to eat anyway at least some nights, although if you find a nice posada or apartment with pool in a village outside, you might be more relaxed with a 6 year old.

As for high breakfast costs, I would say head into Potes to get breakfast (at Casa Cayo for example), or buy some juice and sobaos (the Cantabrian breakfast cakes) and eat them in your room!

Hope that's some help!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Picos

ok, thanks. you're quite right about having to drive into town to eat and perhaps not the best idea at night. think I am now down to staying in town, between casa cayo which I quite like and perhaps the apartments at villa de potes which are in town AND have a pool, but it depends whether they'll rent to us for three nights. I kind of want to stay at cayo, but it may be quieter, particularly on the weekend, at the apartments.

I have read there are walks available directly from town so not concerned about having accessible hiking - yes we are walkers. or we can drive to the start of some hikes. it's only two full days.

so four days on the coast, after all. at least a bit of each day will be eaten up looking at caves, then a town or two or three, some beach time. basing in santillana del mar. would have preferred comillas but could find nothing that fit our bill at reasonable cost. santillana is certainly close to caves.

3. Re: Hotels in Picos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, June 17, 2013