We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale and dolphin watching

Which Puerto de la Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whale and dolphin watching

Hi, getting very excited about our trip to Puerto de la Cruz. The problem is that I'm not very keen on boat trips though have looked at Tenerife Sunshine's website, but would love to see whales and dolphins.

I am wondering if we might see whales if we do TITSA bus trip to Las Gigantes; one website suggests that they come in quite close to the shore there. And how likely is it that we'd actually see whales if I manage to do the shortest boat trip? Think there is a Delfin boat that looks more stable!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks very much,

Phil

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Hi

Seeing the Whales needs to be done from a boat .

If the Delphin advertises seeing Whales you should be sure to see them . They live between the islands and you can almost guarantee seeing them if you take a boat trip .

If you want to talk to someone in Puerto, about trips to see the whales, I would suggest you have a word with Katy at the Tourist Information shop in Calle Quintana . This shop is near the Monopol Hotel and you will be given good advice .

We have been on several Whale watching trips and have seen whales every time . On some occasions we have seen the Dolphins ,but not every time .

Liskeard, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

If you don't want to take a boat trip you could always go and see them at the Loro parque!

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Phil

I did a boat trip from Los Gigantes in March and saw lots of seagulls!!! Most of the boat companies assure you that you WILL see both of the preferred creatures but do not go so far as offering a money back guarantee. I did speak to my sister and brother in law when I got back and they said they did a trip from Los Christianos and saw lots of both but also saw nothing going from Los G. I suppose it is all a matter of luck, good or bad.

In any event the bus trip down to there is very scenic and well worth doing. I did post a brief breakdown of the logistics of this run back in March so you could probably find it fairly easily if you trawl through my profile for that period of time. I do seem to recall a minor discrepancy between the posted timetables in PDLC and Los G so worth checking again when you have reached the latter.

As to the actual boats, there are several of different styles and sizes and trip durations so, as you are not a keen sailor, I would suggest not booking anything until you got there. If you walk down to the harbour you can wander along and check at the various kiosks and that way you have a better chance of finding something you would be more comfortable with. Although they are in many ways quite good fun, for you I would suggest avoiding the "Pirate Ships".

John

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

John, why do you advise against the pirate ships? I've been looking at the reviews and they seem quite good. Am in the process of booking one for next month too - if they're that bad, will you post something on here?

Thanks, ZJ

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Hi Zany_Janey

We have been on the Freebird , Maxicat and the Pirate Boat , and enjoyed them all .

If you were to push me to name my favourite , I would say The Pirate Boat . They were very informative and even had me up dancing and joining in with the fun .

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston super Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Hi, I have also been fortunate to see dolphins from the shore in Puerto. There is a good place to look out at the San Telmo chapel.

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Zany and A_F

Nothing at all sinister in what I said, honest guv. I was merely taking into account that the OP does not seem to be entirely comfortable with the whole idea of a boat trip - he asks about prospects of sightings doing the shortest possible trip. I actually did do a pirate trip. I agree it was quite good fun but it did last for almost 2.5 hours with a lengthy stop at Masca Bay for swimming and to pick up several people returning from walks in the canyon. It was quite crowded for the last leg of the journey.

The main reason for suggesting he leaves booking until he gets there is to get a clear idea of what kind of boat he would feel most comfortable with. I would imagine the smaller, nippier boats would get out to the likeliest places for sightings quicker so the fact that you can pick up an hour long trip would not really have any effect on whether or not you end up seeing what you want to see. There were lots of boats doing these trips so should not be any real danger of not getting something to go on.

John

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Ok thanks John - the pirate ship it is for me then....aaarrrr me hearties !!!!

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Not normally up and about at this time but my new passport arrived today so had itchy booking fingers (Madeira). There seems to be something odd with the link below

losgigantes.com

but if you copy and paste it should at least get up some suggested links on the drop down menu. If you use the one saying "what to do in Los Gigantes" it should bring up a page giving you some of the available trips and a couple of the boats claim to be very well stabilised. Not mentioned but I am pretty sure the Pirate Boat I used was the Flipper Uno.

John

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale and dolphin watching

Apologies for the double post but the link actually takes you to the site's home page and there is a banner advert on there to get to the right place.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Cruz